    don't want to make the same mistake as last time.

    Any sincere advice about what to look for and what to stay away from is
    much appreciated.

    cerealbarndog, Jan 21, 2006

  2. cerealbarndog

    Eatmorepies Guest

    I use an Epson R200 using original cartridges that I buy on eBay for about
    £20 ($34?) a set and an Epson 1290s (A3) that I run on non-Epson cartridges.
    I buy 20 Print-Rite carts for £30 ($51?). Both printers produce good
    photographs but the colour produced is slightly different - neither could be
    said to be better though.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Jan 21, 2006
  4. cerealbarndog

    Celcius Guest

    Hi!
    I use the Epson stylus Photo R300, with 6 colour cartridges (Epson ink,
    as well as Epson paper). The good thing about so many colours is that
    you replace only the colour that's low and your tints are more
    delicate, especially the skin tones.
    First, one has to remember that bubblejets don't cost much. The
    moneymaker is the ink.
    Two, for Epson, at least, you will get very good and longer lasting
    prints if you use their proprietary ink and paper.
    Unlike laser (B&W) printers, cost per sheet is much higher on bubble
    jets. If one has many photos to print, it's cheaper to have them done
    commercially.
    I doubt that anyone on this forum thinks much differently.
    Cheers,
    Marcel

    Celcius, Jan 21, 2006
  5. I'm going to be looking for a new bubblejet printer soon and would like
    a little input from those who know more about what to look out for than
    I do. What I mean is the one I'm using is an absolute undependable
    money pit (not going to mention the make or model) and the ink
    cartridges cost about as much as the printer did new. It makes nice
    quality prints between hissy fits, error messages and printing unwanted
    test pages.

    It would be nice to find a decent (near photo quality) printer that
    allows refilling the cartridges or even refills that print more than a
    half dozen CD covers before dying. I don't mind spending a few bucks on
    something that is reliable, and provides high quality prints but I
    don't want to make the same mistake as last time.

    Any sincere advice about what to look for and what to stay away from is
    much appreciated.

    Look at the Canon range of printers. Unlike most other printers, the
    cartridges are simply tanks of ink - and don't include the expensive print
    head and electronics - and so the cartridges are far cheaper - OEM, and
    compatibles.

    When the print head eventually wears out then replacements can be bought.

    **SS**

    SecretSquiddle, Jan 21, 2006
  6. cerealbarndog

    paul.busse Guest

    paul.busse, Jan 21, 2006
  7. Some good points made by all. A bud of mine uses a Canon that
    apparently uses ink tanks and he's had nothing but good things to say.
    Epson looks good too but I'm more than a little fed up with buying high
    priced cartridges and I read they have issues with the nozzles clogging
    as well if you're not printing regularly (which I don't).

    Thanks for the input!

    cerealbarndog, Jan 22, 2006