    anyone here can advise please.

    The file does exist, and on my XP PC it's at
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\BtWizard.dll

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 16, 2014

  2. Looks like my initial research was a bit hasty. It seems the 'BT'
    stands for Bluetooth in this case!

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 16, 2014

  3. Terry Pinnell

    bert Guest

    Probably

    bert, Dec 16, 2014
  4. Likely something it needs doesn't exist.

    But I can't imagine why Firefox should need bluetooth, or BT. If you
    right-click on the file, and select "properties" it should tell you
    which one it is. Unless it's malware, and lies about it of course.

    There are tools which will tell you what's really missing. You might
    want to look for a Windows group.

    Andy

    Vir Campestris, Dec 16, 2014
  5. Thanks both. As per my follow-up post, it's owned by Bluetooth
    Software 5.0.1.802 from Broadcom Corporation. I've since uninstalled
    that, but still get the message. I was probably wrong about the
    Firefox connection.

    I've posted to an XP forum or two, as it's clearly OT here now. But in
    case anyone here has expertise in this area, or simply curious, here's
    more detail.

    --------------------

    I haven't yet pinned down what activity actually triggers the
    message. But I do know that the problem has arisen since trying to
    uninstall a program. (I think it's now irrelevant, but FWIW that was
    called Desktop Capture Engine, which came as part of SUPER, the video
    converter).

    I used the noemally very reliable Revo Uninstaller. But somehow it
    deleted scores of files in \System 32 before I cancelled it.

    One of the accidentally deleted files must have been btwizard.dll,
    which I found is owned by Bluetooth Software 5.0.1.802 from Broadcom
    Corporation. I downloaded a replacement for that file, but the
    messages continued to occur.

    Then I uninstalled Bluetooth Software (which I don't use - can't
    remember why I installed it those years ago and I don't pair BT
    devices with this desktop PC - or anything else for that matter). But
    I still get the message.

    I've done the obvious stuff like running sfc \scannow and registry
    cleaning.

    I'll next try replacing btwizard.dll again in \System 32 (it was of
    course deleted when I uninstalled Bluetooth Software). But, as it's an
    intermittent problem, it might be some time before I'm confident this
    has fixed it.

    Also, I remain nervous about negative impacts from the other deleted
    files. Would that sfc \scannow have replaced those *essential* to XP?
    Is there any way of finding what files *were* deleted? I backup data
    and my XP registry nightly, but not \System 32! And they were not in
    the Recycle Bin.

    My PC seems to be running OK - I just close the message and continue.
    So it's not a serious practical problem, but I hate unsolved puzzles
    of this sort!

    Terry Pinnell, Dec 17, 2014