BT Home Hub 5 - WiFi connected but no Internet Access

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by MB, Jun 21, 2014.

  1. MB

    Paul Cummins Guest

    Paul Cummins, Jun 22, 2014

  2. MB

    Ian Prideaux Guest

    Create a shortcut to ping.exe in your startup folder. Add additional
    flags to specify infinite number of pings (default is 4), and to specify
    the router's ip. Click the tickbox to run it minimised.

    I had to do this on my old XP laptop.
    Now I'm running Xubuntu, it's not required.

    Ian Prideaux, Jun 23, 2014

  3. MB

    Graham. Guest

    Interesting, so a local ICMP flood can have a beneficial effect?

    Can you explain how it works?

    Graham., Jul 3, 2014
  4. MB

    Ian Prideaux Guest

    I wouldn't call it a flood, because it only sends one ping per second,
    but it's just traffic (56 bytes per ping?), and it seems to keep the
    connection alive. IIRC some machines/versions of windows/wireless
    cards/options will put the wireless link to sleep if there's no traffic,
    and sometimes it has trouble waking up again.

    In my case it was definitely a wireless thing, I never had to do it with
    my cabled connection.

    Ian Prideaux, Jul 4, 2014
  5. MB

    Graham. Guest

    When I had a dial-up connection and a web page was reluctant to load,
    if I opened a second browser window and just kept refreshing the
    default page it often made the difficult page speed up significantly.

    Graham., Jul 5, 2014
  6. MB

    Graham. Guest

    Graham., Jul 7, 2014