    fixes it but obviously not very satisfactory.

    Are there any known problems with the HH5 that can cause this or any
    ways of solving the problem?

    MB, Jun 21, 2014

  2. MB

    Graham J Guest

    Don't use WiFi !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Connect via an Ethenet cable and determine whether the connection is
    reliable.

    Monitor the status page in the router to confirm internet connectivity.

    Graham J, Jun 21, 2014

  3. MB

    Kraftee Guest

    If you must use wifi try setting the link up with fixed IP (inside the range
    allocated by your HH5 of course)

    Kraftee, Jun 21, 2014
  4. Disconnecting and reconnecting what? Do you disconnect the router or
    the computer?

    If the latter, check your computer's IP address before you do
    anything. Is it the usual 192.168.whatever, or does it begin with 169?

    Can you ping the router? Can you ping a reliable external source such
    as the BBC or Google? Can you access the router's setup pages using a
    web browser? Does it show a valid external IP address, a gateway
    address and DNS addresses? Can you ping any of these?

    Try connecting by ethernet instead of wireless. Try connecting another
    computer. "No internet access" doesn't tell you very much without some
    additional tests to establish where the connection is broken.

    If the problem seems related only to connection by wireless, check for
    updated driver software for the wireless adaptor.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 21, 2014
  5. MB

    MB Guest

    I have got a very long Ethernet cable I could use but the router and PC
    are at opposite corners of the house which is why WiFi is more
    convenient - no problems on signal level.

    MB, Jun 21, 2014
  6. MB

    MB Guest

    Click on WiFi symbol on the toolbar, brings up list of WiFi signals
    being heard, check that still connected to my own one, shows connected
    with normal full strength sign but 'No Internet Access', disconnect by
    clicking on Disconnect, connect by clicking on Connect.

    MB, Jun 21, 2014
  7. "MB" wrote ...
    periods during the week but suspect they might be network problems but I
    have one PC which runs 24/7 most mornings it has had been connected by
    WiFi but showing 'No Internet Access', disconnected and reconnecting
    fixes it but obviously not very satisfactory.
    ways of solving the problem?

    It's a known problem with Windows - the only Micro$oft advice seems to be to
    look for a later Wi-Fi driver.

    I am on PlusNet and there is no problem showing with my Kindle Fire tablet
    internet (Android) when the PC shows 'limited access'.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Jun 21, 2014
  8. MB

    Graham J Guest

    But you already know that WiFi is not reliable, so bite the bullet and
    install some cat5 cable properly.

    Graham J, Jun 21, 2014
  9. So it's definitely something in the computer then. I'd check for
    drivers first. Go to Device Manager, find the wireless adaptor,
    right-click and click "update driver software".

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 21, 2014
  10. MB

    MB Guest

    But that PC has been running 24/7 for several years and never done this
    until the change to Infinity 2 with Home Hub 5.

    MB, Jun 21, 2014
  11. MB

    MB Guest

    But that PC has been running 24/7 using 'unreliable WiFi' with hardly a
    hiccup for several years.

    MB, Jun 21, 2014
  12. MB

    Graham J Guest

    So is the Home Hub 5 new? Or was that in place before the conversion to
    Infinity?

    Bearing in mind it was probably supplied by BT, and your ISP is also
    probably BT, it is fair to assume that BT can reconfigure the HH without
    your knowing - by the mechanism of TR-069. So it is quite possible that
    the WiFi parameters in the HH have been changed.

    We can't help you unless you carry out all the tests as described in the
    post by Roderick Stewart. Specifically, we need to know whether the
    router has an internet connection simultaneously with your PC reporting
    the lack of an internet connection.

    Graham J, Jun 21, 2014
  13. MB

    MikeS Guest

    I had a problem similar to yours (not with HH5) which was caused by
    interference from other routers using the same and/or adjacent channels. You
    mention a list of WiFi signals and previously said the 24/7 PC is some way
    from the router (weaker WiFi signal) so this may be the explanation. I fixed
    it by changing the router. If you have the old one which worked OK try that.

    MikeS, Jun 21, 2014
  14. "Roderick Stewart" wrote in message
    drivers first. Go to Device Manager, find the wireless adaptor,
    right-click and click "update driver software".

    Your driver software is up to date

    Windows has determined that you have the latest driver software.

    Michael R N Dolbear, Jun 21, 2014
  15. "MB" wrote

    ..> But that PC has been running 24/7 for several years and never done this
    until the change to Infinity 2 with Home Hub 5.

    Indeed but Windows can now find problems that existed before but couldn't be
    reached ?

    Speed, block size ?

    Michael R N Dolbear, Jun 21, 2014
  16. MB

    MB Guest

    Yes, new HH5 supplied with Infinity 2

    MB, Jun 21, 2014
  17. While it's showing "no internet access", check if it has a valid IP
    address. Go to Network and Sharing Center (how it bugs me to spell it
    like that) click on the name of the wireless connection then click the
    Details button. Check IPv4 address, and the addresses of the IPv4
    Default Gateway, IPv4 DHCP server and IPv4 DNS server.

    (That last one is a tautology by the way, but that's what it says -
    "Domain Name Server server").

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 21, 2014
  18. MB

    Graham J Guest

    You could argue: "Domain Name Service server"

    Graham J, Jun 22, 2014
  19. MB

    Paul Cummins Guest

    It's not. The server provides DNS

    Domain Name Services

    Paul Cummins, Jun 22, 2014
  20. Your response, and the one above, prompted me to look it up, as common
    usage appears to be that the actual server is referred to as "a DNS",
    so that's what I've always assumed it meant. Here are a few
    possibilities-

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domain_Name_System
    "Domain Name System"

    http://www.howstuffworks.com/dns.htm
    "How Domain Name Servers Work"

    http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/D/DNS.html
    "1) Short for Domain Name System (or Service or Server)"

    There seems to be a bit of variation here. Are such things defined
    "officially" anywhere?

    Wikipedia tells me that DNS can also stand for "deviated nasal
    septum", so I wouldn't want to put anybody's nose out of joint.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jun 22, 2014