    pc until I can upgrade it?

    Thanks

    Graham

    Graham Naylor, Feb 13, 2015

  2. Yes.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Feb 13, 2015

  3. Graham Naylor

    Woody Guest

    Ethernet will always operate at the mutually fastest rate of the
    connection, so if you connect 10Mb at one end to 1Gb at the other it
    will run at 10Mb.

    Woody, Feb 13, 2015
  4. Thanks for the help, just what I was after.

    Graham

    "Graham Naylor" wrote in message
    Hi,

    I have just received my new Home Hub 5 to use as I have now upgraded to a
    Fibre connection (at last), however the new Hub has 4 Gigabit ports rather
    than the 4 x 100 Mbit ports that were on my old Belkin router, are these new
    connections backwardly compatible so I can still use the 100 Mbit card in my
    pc until I can upgrade it?

    Thanks

    Graham

    Graham Naylor, Feb 13, 2015
  5. Almost always, but we do have some switches at work with 1G only uplink
    ports - they won't drop down to a lower speed. It can catch you out if
    you connect a 100M device into it by mistake. Anything that's intended
    for plugging end-user devices into, though, will have the full set of
    speeds available.

    Mike

    Mike Humphrey, Feb 13, 2015