    we only use the hub to connect to a 40mbit FTTC modem, not for internal
    networking, so I don't think using a gigabit connection for that would make
    any difference.

    Gordon Freeman, Feb 13, 2015

  2. Gordon Freeman

    Woody Guest

    BTHH5 is also dual band and has some internal 'nicities' that the HH3
    did not.

    Woody, Feb 13, 2015

  3. Gordon Freeman

    notyalckram Guest

    The main differences are: -

    1. 1Gb ports instead of 100Mb ports
    2. [Simultaneous] dual band Wi-Fi instead of 2G4Hz only.
    3. USB drive is visible to Wi-Fi devices.
    4. Poorer connection progress lights (OTOH links up more quickly and stably)

    notyalckram, Feb 13, 2015
  4. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    I hate the HH5, I hoped to switch to a W9980 but have never got the
    streaming to the YouView box to work.

    The WiFi has tendency to disconnect frequently and also sit a condition
    where it shows 'Connected' but No Internet Connection.

    I have one PC that runs 24/7 and periodically find it has disconnected.

    Also when I connect my Windows 8 PC to the HH5, the HH5 crashes. Tried
    using an Ethernet Switch to 'buffer' but still crashes. I have a second
    old WiFi modem on one of the HH5 ports and connect the Windows 8 PC
    through that.

    MB, Feb 14, 2015
  5. Gordon Freeman

    notyalckram Guest

    I have had a HH5 for half a year. I think I have had one crash. I Have two devices on Wi-Fi all the time (but they only make the connection about once an hour to check for email etc.). Occasionally my Kindle gets confused about its connection and the HH5 rejects it. Usually a reset of the Kindlesorts this, but very occasionally one needs to reset both (I think becausethe HH5 considers the repeated botched connections as an attack and locks out the device).

    Otherwise the HH5 is stable and performs well.

    Existing connections will be broken when the HH5 updates and reboots.

    notyalckram, Feb 15, 2015
  6. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    Don't know why, other people have.

    Dick, Feb 15, 2015
  7. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    Never seen any settings posted anywhere.

    At the moment I just have it as something that I can use to check if I
    suspected the line/HH5 is faulty.

    MB, Feb 16, 2015
  8. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    Download the latest firmware, do a factory reset, connect it to line
    select BT VDSL in the easy setup wizard, don't tinker with any settings
    and all should be well.

    Dick, Feb 16, 2015
  9. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    I will have a look tomorrow, last time I looked it did not have an
    option for BT settings.
    ..

    MB, Feb 16, 2015
  10. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    The new firmware does and it also fixes the you view problem.

    Dick, Feb 16, 2015
  11. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    Unfortunately the firmware upgrade starts by warning that you must have
    Hardware Ver 1.1, mine is Ver 1.0

    I have contacted TP-Link for advice - not happy as I reported this back
    around September and had a few EMails but did not get anywhere and was
    not informed in December that they had realised they had a problem and
    had fixed it.

    MB, Feb 17, 2015
  12. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    Hmm, not according to this, it only mentions V1. This is the firmware I
    have on my V1

    http://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/?model=TD-W9980&version=V1#tbl_j

    Dick, Feb 17, 2015
  13. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    There is a picture of the label on the model with Ver. 1.1 ringed

    ï‚· Please verify the hardware version of your device for the firmware
    version.Wrong firmware upgrading may damage your device and void the
    warranty.

    It then goes on to say check the firmware by connecting to the modem and
    should show v1 and lots of zeroes.

    I will wait to see what TP-Link have to say

    MB, Feb 17, 2015
  14. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    The label on mine says V1.0 and the router shows this
    Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.10 v0021.0 Build 141215 Rel.41342n

    Hardware Version:TD-W9980 v1 00000000

    Dick, Feb 17, 2015
  15. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    It is probably OK to upgrade but will wait for them to reply.

    MB, Feb 18, 2015
  16. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    TP-Link have confirmed it is the right file and OK to upgrade.

    I will do it tomorrow morning probably as don't want to interrupt the
    broadband connection at the moment.

    MB, Feb 18, 2015
  17. Gordon Freeman

    Dick Guest

    Good to hear :) Good luck with the upgrade, keep us posted on the
    outcome. I certainly had no problems.

    Dick, Feb 18, 2015
  18. Gordon Freeman

    MB Guest

    Upgrade went OK, only minor glitch is the WiFi on my laptop keeps saying
    'No Internet Access'. I have connected an Ethernet cable to it for now
    but think it is just the DNS screwed up or something. Two other PCs,
    TV, PVR and YouView all OK.

    I can now connect the Windows 8 PC without the modem/router crashing,
    ditto for an Ethernet switch that I use to add extra devices (saves
    fiddling around at the back of the modem).

    Also means the Home Network can work properly and so can transfer files
    easily.

    I have a USB drive connected to the 9980 which should be visible to all
    the computers but not checked that yet.

    Thanks for the help.

    MB, Feb 19, 2015
  19. Gordon Freeman