    Another feature on 17070 is the quiet line test, but one thing I'm not
    clear wbout is whether the line should be totally silent or whether it's
    normal to hear a faint hum.

    Gordon Freeman, Nov 18, 2014

  2. Java Jive

    Graham. Guest

    In theory it should be totally silent.
    A faint hum is usually caused by slight earth leakage on one leg of
    the line.
    Many long rural lines suffer from this and it might be a challenge for
    Openreach to find you a better pair.

    Graham., Nov 18, 2014

  3. Java Jive

    Martin Brown Guest

    In theory clean but in practice a small amount of mains hum leakage is
    pretty common (ie above the threshold of hearing). It is narrowband and
    doesn't affect speech quality or ADSL to any great extent.

    What you should not have is crackling or arcing and sparking resulting
    in voltages enough to make the bell tinkle or the ability to hear
    neighbours conversations on the line as I have at present.

    Not surprisingly my ADSL connection is hanging by a thread and in the
    spiral of death where speed drops with each successive loss of synch.

    There is a cable pit flooded after recent rain with loads of wires and
    Openreach are "looking into it". I don't envy them the task.

    Martin Brown, Nov 19, 2014