BT Business Email Lite - SMTP question

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Graham J, Oct 14, 2014.

  1. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    This is the email address used to manage an ADSL account with BT.

    The email address and password work with www.bt.com/business/login

    Using Outloook 2003 I can receive email correctly - the settings are:

    POP3 Server = outlook.office365.com; port 995; SSL

    I've tried many combinations for sending but none work:

    Outgoing server requires authentication = yes
    Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

    SSL/TLS port 587 fails error = SSL not supported
    No SSL port 587 fails error = client not authenticated (!!!!)
    No SSL port 465 fails error = timeout
    SSL/TLS port 465 fails error = SSL not supported

    This is testing from a PC at another site, not the site relating to the
    ADSL connection.

    I referred to:

    http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/...-business-email-lite-(powered-by-office-365)?

    .... which suggests that BT Business Email Lite does support SMTP

    Any ideas?

    Graham J, Oct 14, 2014

  2. Graham J

    nemo Guest

    That may be the problem. With many ISPs, you cannot send email via the
    ISP's servers unless you are using the associated ISP broadband connection.

    Otherwise
    This page gives set-up specifics for Outlook 2003:
    <http://bit.ly/1r0Pnah>

    If following that to the letter doesn't work, suggest a call to BT's
    help line:
    <http://bit.ly/1pWZcWl>

    nemo, Oct 14, 2014

  3. Graham J

    Chris Davies Guest

    See http://technet.microsoft.com/library/dn554323.aspx and the
    footnote regarding submissions via port 587. The endpoint should be
    smtp.office365.com (although from here that resolves to the same host
    as outlook.office365.com).

    If you're getting "client not authenticated", try providing explicit
    credentials (rather than simply saying use the incoming credentials).

    Generally, TLS on 587 could work, but SSL won't. SSL on 465 would work if
    it was supported - but it isn't; TLS wouldn't work.

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Oct 14, 2014
  4. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    SMTP server = smtp.office365.com

    Tried explicit authentication for SMTP server
    with port 587 and SSL unticked

    Still get error = client not authenticated

    In Outlook 2003 there is no option to specify TLS. I have SP3.

    From: http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/154/t/22282.aspx

    I quote:

    "
    Learning from the engineer in our product team, Outlook 2003 was
    designed and built for an environment where servers are maintained
    locally within an organization and not part of a cloud service. Outlook
    2003 does not support features and functionality that depend on the
    re-architected identity infrastructure and newer server architecture
    available in Office 365. Given these changes, Outlook 2003 cannot
    provide an acceptable end-user experience when connected to Office 365.
    "

    So it will never work. Oh well .... (sigh).

    Graham J, Oct 14, 2014

  5. I have managed to set up access to a btconnect account on office365 using
    thunderbird. (Which is much better than Outlook2003 anyway, I hate that
    program it is a piece of crap.) The settings to use are

    POP setting
    Server name: pop.outlook.com
    Port: 995
    Encryption method: SSL/TLS

    SMTP setting
    Server name: smtp.outlook.com
    Port: 587
    Encryption method: STARTTLS
    Authentication - normal password
    username: full email address

    I'm not sure if Outlook2003 can do the same settings or not.
    One trouble with Thunderbird is it tries to guess the server name based on
    the email address and this fails, so you have to cancel that and enter the
    details manually.

    Why BT have outsourced their email to a US company, thus destroying any
    possibility of privacy I have no idea (or did I just answer my own
    question?) Fortunately we now have our own mail server inhouse but we still
    need to pick up messages BT send to the default email account for the
    broadband connection so I had to set the above up.

    Gordon Freeman, Oct 14, 2014
  6. Graham J

    Kraftee Guest

    Why don't you tell BT to send the 'default messages' to your in house
    server?

    It's what I have done and the only problem I've had is the company providing
    the service decided to send an email to my BT account (which I haven't
    polled for years).

    Kraftee, Oct 15, 2014