BT Broadband - static IP and DNS entry?

Discussion in 'Broadband' started by Andrew Gabriel, Jan 10, 2015.

  1. A friend of mine runs a business which is currently using a BT
    business broadband line. The business sends out lots of mail
    (the clients have to pay a subscription fee, it's not spam).

    They currently have a BT broadband line, but had to stop using
    the BT mail relays a few years ago because after a couple of
    batches of emails, BT automatically blocks them, and then it
    would take an hour or two on the phone each time trying to find
    someone in BT who even knew they did this, and to get it
    unblocked again.

    They currently relay to an external mail server, but want to
    bring this back into the office.

    On a BT business broadband line, is it possible to get a static
    IP, and a reverse DNS entry setup for that IP (to your own domain,
    which is not related to BT)?

    I know other providers will do this (such as Andrews+Arnold),
    but the business are a bit resistant to changing.

    I had BT business broadband 10 years ago, and certainly the
    static IP was possible then, but I didn't ever investigate getting
    BT to setup a reverse DNS entry for the static IP address.

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 10, 2015

  2. Andrew Gabriel

    Tony Guest

    Yes, I believe so.

    From,

    http://btbusiness.custhelp.com/app/...e-the-reverse-dns-i-set-up-on-my-domain-name?

    Quote,
    Note: I've never used either service.

    Tony, Jan 11, 2015

  3. Andrew Gabriel

    Graham J Guest

    Static IP address - yes, at significant extra cost (about 20% of the
    service rental).

    The reverse DNS entry - probably

    I had a customer with two BT Business ADSL services (in two differnet
    towns). We wanted to upgrade to FTTC. It was an absolute nightmare,
    with the BT automated system getting things wrong, and nobody able to
    fix it. So we migrated both services to Zen Internet. Static IP
    address in the price, and cheaper.

    Graham J, Jan 11, 2015
  4. Andrew Gabriel

    Bob Eager Guest

    Even if you get it set up, there will no doubt be problems along the way.
    They say 2 days (if you're lucky) to set it up, and presumably the same
    for any changes. And there's the danger of having email off for a
    significant time, not good for a business.

    It will probably take significant time and effort to get this right. Use
    that time to persuade them to leave BT!

    Bob Eager, Jan 11, 2015
  5. [...]
    I think the answer is staring you in the face. In fact you've
    effectively already suggested it yourself. Clearly, you're not going
    to get what you want from BT if they don't know how to provide it, so
    you know what has to be done.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 11, 2015
  6. Andrew Gabriel

    cl Guest

    Yes, rip-off price given that most ISPs (that can provide a static IP)
    only make a one-off charge, PlusNet for example charge just £5 once if
    I remember correctly.

    cl, Jan 11, 2015
  7. Static IP is five quid a month extra, which is a rip off if you ask me,
    since business accounts should surely have a static IP as standard. For
    mail, we bought a domain name elsewhere and then pointed it at the static
    IP address using the domain name control panel, then set the MX record for
    our mail to that domain name.

    Gordon Freeman, Jan 12, 2015
  8. Thanks. This is mainly used for outgoing mail, so it will need the
    reverse DNS for the (static) IP address also setup, which it sounds
    like BT will do from the other replies (since that's under their
    control).

    Andrew Gabriel, Jan 12, 2015
  9. Andrew Gabriel

    Davern Guest

    Have you researched the costs/benefits of renting a virtual server which
    can be had from a reputable supplier for ~£150/year with 100GB usage
    allowance? A static IP address and reverse DNS will be included as a
    matter of routine.

    It would avoid some of the unnecessary hassle of dealing with BT's
    support teams, and have the added benefits (?) of predictable
    connectivity and of running dual stack IPv4/IPv6 for future-proofing. A
    web server could also be configured on the same server for zero marginal
    cost, depending upon anticipated traffic. There will be the need to
    monitor and administer the server on a daily basis, of course, but I
    presume that it is being done already. There would be a potential extra
    cost for a recognised SSL Certificate, if TLS encryption is to be used
    for mail traffic.

    Davern, Jan 12, 2015
  10. Andrew Gabriel

    Graham J Guest

    The people tht provide your domain name should also be able to rent you
    a mail server for a few quid per year - use that to handle outgoing (and
    incoming) mail, and agree with them that you can use it for bulk emails.

    That way you could change ISP at will, with no inconvenience.

    Graham J, Jan 12, 2015
  11. I didn't ask Zen for a static IP address on my domestic account, but
    I've had the same one for as long as I can remember, so maybe it's
    standard. I haven't seen any mention of it in the pricing on their web
    page, so if it really is a static address (rather than a dynamic one
    that's never been disconnected long enough to have changed), it
    doesn't appear to be an extra.

    And their tech support is based in the UK, they speak English and they
    know what they're doing.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 12, 2015
  12. Andrew Gabriel

    Graham J Guest

    It is a key selling point from Zen, and is well known. See:

    http://www.zen.co.uk/home-office/broadband/home-office-broadband.aspx

    Graham J, Jan 12, 2015
  13. I've never noticed before, but yes, you're right. There it is in small
    print. Not important to me, but interesting to know.

    Rod.

    Roderick Stewart, Jan 12, 2015
  14. Andrew Gabriel

    Chris Davies Guest

    I have a self-signed certificate for TLS and I've not seen any issues
    with servers accepting email from my mail server.

    You will need to read up on DMARC though; there are already large
    providers that refuse email from servers that don't provide some form
    of DMARC notification (even if that notification is just "don't use DMARC").

    Chris

    Chris Davies, Jan 12, 2015
  15. Andrew Gabriel

    Phil W Lee Guest

    Yes, static IP is standard with Zen (Not sure if they still have any
    /29 subnets though).
    And the user control panel allows you to set the reverse dns to
    anything you are entitled to.
    But it's not 24/7, if that matters.
    Probably not for a business, but worth mentioning just in case.
    I've never had any down-time attributable to them, and the occasional
    openreach fault gets chased by Zen very effectively.

    Phil W Lee, Jan 14, 2015