Browsers won't browse (email works fine) --- HELP!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by notaguru, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. notaguru

    notaguru Guest

    This Compaq XP laptop worked fine a while ago, but now is in
    trouble. Email works fine, but neither browser (IE 7 or Firefox
    2.0.0.4) will access the internet. Unit is wirelessly connected,
    and other units in the same office have no problems. Other
    functions of the computer such as update managers work properly
    and connect without problems.

    Error message:

    PROBLEM LOADING PAGE -- UNABLE TO CONNECT

    What would prevent browsers (but not email clients) from
    accessing the net?

    Norton is on the machine but we can't find a way to disable it.
    When asking for the Norton Control page it freezes.

    Our skill level is definitely not at the guru stage... PLEASE HELP!

    notaguru, Jul 6, 2007

  2. Using another computer, download LSPFix and see if that does any good.
    http://cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    Since you are having problems with Norton, I would definitely dump it
    and get a decent AV program such as Kaspersky or the one I use, Avast.
    You should go to control panel, add/remove software and get rid of
    anything that has Norton or Symentec in it's name.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jul 7, 2007

  3. notaguru

    Plato Guest

    In addition to what Roger said:

    Special utilities to get rid of Norton, which I also suggest. Norton is
    nothing but a potential problem on many systems.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm
    MORE UTILITIES
    <P>
    One guess is that your Norton Firewall or NIS was working incorrectly
    and didnn't ask for permission for your browser to access the Internet.

    Plato, Jul 7, 2007
  4. notaguru

    notaguru Guest

    Solved. It was definitely Norton. Uninstalled, then went through
    the registry deleting perhaps 100 residual entries.

    Works well now.

    Thanks!

    notaguru, Jul 7, 2007
  5. notaguru