Browsers that don't respond to <style> very well (if at all)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ed B. Norton, Jul 25, 2003.

  1. Ed B. Norton

    Ed B. Norton Guest

    Learning CSS, I have encountered a conventional warning: some old
    browsers will not respond, or respond spotily, to in-line style sheets,
    and/or external ones, and/or "style=" elements in HTML tags.

    First, does anyone know how many of these are actually out there and
    commonly used? I can understand when a person can't upgrade for
    economic reasons, being forced by a computer -- which must be used as-
    is -- to use a particular level of browser. I understand that some
    people are still really using IE 3.whatever, which some versions of AOL
    employed to do their actual browsing. Are there other reasons to use
    an old browser, other than simply not wanting to bother, which I'm not
    aware of?

    Second, for public projects which ideally should be accessible to as
    many people as possible who are on-line at all, does anyone have the
    URL of browser(s) that don't like style, so I can see how my pages
    would look on them (that is, decide how much CSS to use)?

    Any response would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

    Ed B. Norton

    Ed B. Norton, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Ed B. Norton

    °Mike° Guest

    http://browsers.evolt.org/

    °Mike°, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Ed B. Norton

    Richard Guest

    With IE and netscape/mozilla being free and up to date, it's pure laziness
    for not upgrading.
    if they're using really old browsers, I wouldn't worry about it.
    they would be in a very small percentage of the world.

    Richard, Jul 26, 2003
  4. Ed B. Norton

    Jimchip Guest

    About the only thing Richard worries about is how to download kiddy porn
    and keeping track of his bounced checks.

    Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
    he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/

    Jimchip, Jul 26, 2003
  5. Ed B. Norton

    why? Guest

    Cross testing, mentioned here
    http://www.masternewmedia.com/issue8/browsercompatest.htm
    there are links to % browser usage, don't know how old the data is.

    I also seem to recall there is a site you can test pages in different
    browsers, don't have a URL handy.

    For any work, it's worth you installing NS6/7 / Mozilla / Opera.
    There are several CSS groups and loads of CSS sites and mailing lists.

    So no examples / URLs to look at, I am assuming you are using a CSS
    validator.

    Are you doing this, to hide the <style> from, oddly enough older
    browsers.

    <!--

    -->

    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html

    CSS validation
    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    HTML validation
    http://validator.w3.org/
    This is a discussion many designers will get into flaming about. Some
    camps cater only for MSIE v5/6 / Netscape 7. Ignoring totally any ver 4
    or below browsers. Others will at least work with v4 and above. However
    after this many ignore non-Windows platforms (fonts/dpi) altogether.
    It's not unheard of for sites with poor coding to even fail on v4
    browsers (some issues with MSIE compatability changes).
    Do a course then, http://www.hwg.org/ the CSS course is run by Eric
    Meyer, in any case buy a couple of his books.

    Cascading Style Sheets: The Definitive Guide
    by Eric A. Meyer
    Paperback: 467 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.93 x 9.10 x 6.97
    Publisher: O'Reilly & Associates; 1st edition (May 15, 2000)
    ISBN: 1565926226

    and

    Eric Meyer on CSS: Mastering the Language of Web Design
    by Eric A. Meyer
    Paperback: 352 pages ; Dimensions (in inches): 0.59 x 10.06 x 8.08
    Publisher: New Riders; 1st edition (June 28, 2002)
    ISBN: 073571245X
    http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/

    Also http://devedge.netscape.com/

    newsgroup -
    comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

    For HTML the IWA-HWG runs HTML (Level I and II courses, teaching
    compatability, validation, and accessability.

    Validation tester,
    http://bobby.watchfire.com/bobby/html/en/index.jsp
    this is useful for any site anywhere and US guide lines such as Section
    508 need to apply - http://www.section508.gov/
    W3 guides
    XHTML/HTML http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/
    CSS Specs http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/

    Site with examples, tutorials few among hundreds.
    http://www.w3schools.com/
    http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

    HWG CSS FAQ
    http://www.hwg.org/resources/faqs/cssFAQ.html

    Me

    why?, Jul 27, 2003
  6. Ed B. Norton

    Ed B. Norton Guest

    Very edifying response -- thanks for answering the questions as
    completely, usefully, and URL-fully as you did.

    BTW, I have Opera 7, NS 4, IE 5 & Mozilla installed already (the Moz.
    will have to do duty for NS 7). Already discovered & d/l'd _The
    Definitive Guide_. There doesn't seem to be a Konqueror for Windows yet
    (though there is the KHTML project recently googled onto, but that's
    frankly a little bewildering [the greater part of my programming
    experience was a generation ago on DEC Minis]), so I'm going to have to
    be in the Windows-only designers' camp, at least for now.

    Thanks again.

    Ed B. Norton, Jul 27, 2003