    & I need to hit the reload button to update it. Any ideas
    Only seems to have happened since I changed ISP, could it be due to
    the ISP's cache??

    Steve Robertson, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Quite likely.

    In the name of cost-savings, some ISPs are using very agressive
    caching these days and those sites which don't provide all the header
    info required to establish a valid expiry date for content are being
    cached by default when GOOD cache management would dictate that they
    should not be cached.

    I bitched about this in Aardvark some time ago and, as if by a
    miracle, Xtra stopped incorrectly caching some of the sites I visit
    regularly -- although I've noticed a couple of new ones they're
    incorrectly caching now.

    I suspect it's more about boosting the bottom line than it is about
    technical incompetence, especially if your a Jetstream user who is
    being charged $$$ for over-cap international traffic.

    It's scandalous that they can charge you $0.20 or so per megabyte for
    pages that are actually being dished up from their own local caches --
    and stale pages at that!

    Maybe it's so that Jetstream users have to force a refresh to make
    sure they're actually getting a current copy of the pages they browse
    -- and therefore Xtra/Telecom get to charge you twice as much.

    Bruce Simpson, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Steve Robertson

    Alden Bates Guest

    I had one page which would randomly give me a version from ~6 months
    ago. Paradise seems to have several proxy servers which you get at
    random, and one of them had an old copy stuck in it.

    alden

    Alden Bates, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Steve Robertson

    colinco Guest

    Is there a difference????

    colinco, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Steve Robertson

    Mainlander Guest

    Using different servers, there has been an obvious improvement and I was
    able to get them to remove a site from their cacheflow.

    Mainlander, Jul 24, 2003

  6. I do recall you telling us at the time.

    [before you changed]

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=

    ; This is very typical of Clear's HTTP service. The server cache can't be
    ; persuaded to supply the new version of files even when the old file has
    ; actually been deleted from the server.

    [after you changed]

    http://groups.google.com/groups?as_umsgid=

    ; Everything else on Paradise has been fine, HTTP much better than clear
    ; wich uses a braindead caching system.

    Kerrie Felderton, Jul 24, 2003