Browser Randomly Executing

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by cmbmeb1, Jul 6, 2006.

  1. cmbmeb1

    cmbmeb1 Guest

    This is a VERY annoying issue, occuring to me as I type this. I'll try
    to make this quick, to save you time and to not have to deal with this
    problem while typing.

    I have a notebook (ABS Mayhem G3) that has this annoying problem- the
    default web browser (be it IE6.0, Firefox, Opera...) constantly reloads
    itself randomly while I'm using it. I can go months at a time with it
    not affecting me, but some days it comes with a vengeance, doing this
    execute-1000023403483-browsers thing.

    This has been occuring since day 1 of owning this PC. I don't want to
    send it in because the folks who will "fix" it will not only wipe my
    HD, but will take 4-8 weeks to do so. Ugh. I've been running trojan
    and antispyware like mad trying to isolate this issue, and even
    employed HijackThis to see if there's some rogue application trying to
    corrupt my browser.

    Randomly, when surfing, typing, whatever... my browser will just
    execute itself many, many times. With opera, it comes in the form of
    reloading my homepage 60 times (estimated) or opening 100 windows of
    Opera. My record so far is 283 windows. Sometimes when trying to
    close out of them all, I get some random error involving "Make sure
    there are not multiple users using Opera" or something to that effect.

    I once had to RMA some memory for being bad. Although the other memory
    chip is fine, I wonder if it's a hardware short causing my issue.
    Perhaps it's a trojan, spyware, malware, whatever. I was told to
    re-install Windows, but realistically, by the time I tracked down all
    my old program CDs and whatnot, it'd be faster to send it in to the
    manufacturer :p.

    I'd like to know if this is, or has, occured with anyone else, and
    potential sources of this problem. It's driving me nuts!

    Thanks a bunch :D
    -Chris

    cmbmeb1, Jul 6, 2006

  2. cmbmeb1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    It sounds like malware has infected the machine. Have you tried an AV NG
    and sought help there?

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2006

  3. cmbmeb1

    kur1 Guest

    AV NG? Is that some kind of antivirus software? I've tried a couple
    of utilties, but keep in mind, this stuff's been occuring since before
    I ever connected this baby to the 'net.

    I'll give another virus scan a try, however :)

    -Chris

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  4. cmbmeb1

    kur1 Guest

    So, I'm at the point of finding out if it's:
    a) Malware
    b) Hardware
    c) Neither

    Right now, I'd love to lean towards a. My guess, giving the previous
    bad RAM stick, is it would probably be b.

    If it's indeed something wrong with the buttons, it's nothing I can
    check myself without potentially popping it off permanently. The
    problematic buttons would be one of these 1-touch mail, internet,
    wireless buttons above the notebook keyboard.

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  5. cmbmeb1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    alt.comp-antivirus NG = newsgroup or other such NG(s) where they can
    help you.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 6, 2006
  6. cmbmeb1

    Whiskers Guest

    Does the laptop have a touchpad located between you and the keyboard?
    Errant 'mouse movements and clicks' caused by hands moving close to the
    touchpad while typing can cause all sorts of weird things to happen. If
    there is no 'off switch' or 'hotkey' to disable the touchpad, try covering
    it with a piece of stiff card while you are typing.

    If you know the name and address of the so-and-so who decreed that there
    shuold be a touchpad where the keyboard belongs on almost every laptop,
    please tell the world; there's a come-uppance to be delivered.

    Whiskers, Jul 6, 2006
  7. cmbmeb1

    kur1 Guest

    Ran virusscan, nothing popped up.

    Ran adware removal tools, nothing came up.

    Scanned with Windows Defender, nothing came up.

    At this point, it's hardware or the problem Whiskers illustrated. I do
    actually keep my thumb rested a lot on the mouse while just idling on
    my PC. This could very well be the case, and I never figured it'd do
    that ;)

    I'll let you know the results... I think there's a way for me to
    hot-swap the touchpad on/off setting.

    kur1, Jul 6, 2006
  8. cmbmeb1

    John Holmes Guest

    kur1 "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    You can rest your tumb at the touchpad without problems if you quit the
    booze. Your hands will stop trembling.

    John Holmes, Jul 6, 2006
  9. cmbmeb1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    <correction you *ho>

    Whatever I am doing, it's better than that Moby Dick dildo you're
    sucking and riding on.

    <correction>

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  10. cmbmeb1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Duane Arnold <"Do forget about it"@PleaeDo.BET>, the pissing welfare bum
    and sturdy stick in the mud who likes undignified horizontal exercises
    with eels, and whose partner is a ten-o'clock girl with a wide biffen,

    Duane Arnold, Jul 7, 2006
  11. cmbmeb1

    connor_a Guest

    Sure, I hope you are showing respect because if you dress like a slut
    you'll get treated like a slut.

    What's "loopy" is women continuing to dress themselves as cheap slut
    sex whores which is disrespectful not only to themselves but more
    importantly to men who want women to use their brains to attract rather
    than their slutty attitudes.

    connor_a, Jul 7, 2006
  12. Seriously, I don't have time for you.

    But you have issues, and you should get help. ASAP.

    rl
    --
    Rhonda Lea Kirk

    If you ever need some proof that time can heal your wounds,
    just step inside my heart and walk around these rooms;
    where the shadows used to be.... Mary Chapin Carpenter

    Rhonda Lea Kirk, Jul 7, 2006
  13. cmbmeb1

    Connor's Mum Guest

    I should have had you aborted. Another half inch I could have shat you out.

    Connor's Mum, Jul 7, 2006
  14. cmbmeb1

    connor_a Guest

    Sure, I'll repeat it for you: rape is a consequence of female ownership
    of sexuality.
    What don't you understand about women not dressing as cheap sluts?
    What? Men don't go walking around with their dicks and asses hanging
    out, so why do women go walking around with the tits and asses
    everywhere?

    connor_a, Jul 7, 2006
  15. cmbmeb1

    MCP Guest

    Oh! another feminazi slut trying to force her views on soc.meners!

    MCP, Jul 7, 2006
  16. cmbmeb1

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Kiss my ass