    "favorites" everytime I am sent to the site. Aaaargh! This pisses me off.
    There must be some way to protect against this. Thanks.

    Mike Hawk

    Mike Hawk, Jul 8, 2003

  2. Mike Hawk

    Mara Guest

    http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=about

    "And keep AdAware, too."

    Mara, Jul 8, 2003

  3. Mike Hawk

    MLFnet Guest

    When using AdAware you often need to do an update to get the latest
    spyware definitions.

    Look in your startup by typing [WINDOW KEY]+[R] then type in msconfig
    then press [OK]. go to the 'Startup' tab. If you see anything you can't
    recognise or are not sure of, un-check the check box. Then press [OK] and
    restart your machine. If something that's supposed to work but doesn't
    repeat the above steps to turn the item(s) back on.

    Don't know what an item does? Type it into google and you should get a
    page that tells you what that particular program does. (i.e. systray,
    ctfmon, etc...)

    One thing that'll let you know something is terribly wrong and may need
    professional help is if there are more than a dozen items at startup.

    -=/ www.PC-Component.com /=-

    MLFnet, Jul 8, 2003
  4. Mike Hawk

    Richard Guest

    Open the registry and navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main

    If you don't see anything related, try searching for the dot com address and
    delete any items found.

    Richard, Jul 8, 2003
  5. Mike Hawk

    sethra Guest

    Some suggestions:

    1) Download, install, and run both PepiMK Software's Spybot and
    Lavasoft's Adaware. Both are freeware, remove lots of undesirables from
    your system. Both are updated somewhat regularly, but by using both, one
    *should* catch anything the other misses.

    Spybot:
    http://security.kolla.de/

    Adaware:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    2) Install and run a web proxy to filter your HTTP connections. I use the
    Proxomitron, but I've heard good things about Privoxy also. A web proxy
    might not be the easiest to learn, but it's going to be worth complete
    control (as close as you can get, anyway) over what goes into & out of
    your browser.

    Proxomitron:
    http://www.proxomitron.info/main.shtml

    Privoxy:
    http://www.privoxy.org/

    3) Better safe than sorry, IMO. Surf with Javascript/ActiveX OFF. Turn it
    on for only sites you trust, or put the sites in your "trusted zone" with
    custom settings.

    4) Go to add/remove programs and look through the list. If there's
    anything you don't recognize there, do a Google search on it, and delete
    it if it's malware of any sort.

    5) Run msconfig (if you're running W2K, you can dl and run the XP version
    of msconfig) and do the same for your startup items.

    6) Use a personal firewall. There are several freeware firewalls to chose
    from -- I'm personal to Kerio Personal Firewall. A Google search should
    turn up several hits, find one that you like. ***And learn how to
    configure it properly!***

    7) Keep your antivirus software up to date, and run it regularly. There
    are several free AVs out there also.

    HTH,

    sethra, Jul 8, 2003
  6. Mike Hawk

    Jimchip Guest

    [snip stupidity]

    Troll-o-meter: "Richard" = Richard Bullis; Category = Kook
    -----------------------
    0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    -----------------------
    /\

    Don't listen to "Richard". If there is ever any truth to what
    he says it is for the same reason a broken clock is correct twice a day.

    An example of Richard Bullis' technical knowledge:
    "Ho hum. another loudmouth wise ass.
    first of all buddy boy, newsgroups are not attached to the internet.
    they are two seperate entities.
    as a matter of fact, the newsgroups were on line before the internet
    was."

    A recent reply to Richard Bullis:
    "I really hate to say this, but Bullis....you are an absolute idiot. I
    am in awe at your complete lack of comprehension ability, and your utter
    ignorance."

    ---*For More Information On NetKook Richard Bullis*---
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/
    http://www.cabal.net/cenkoc/index1.html

    Jimchip, Jul 8, 2003
  7. Mike Hawk

    Buffalo Guest

    "Jimchip"
    You're right, but it was very misleading. Error,error,error.......
    Yes, because what was in quotes were the first three words and last four
    words of what he said.

    Coincidence? Yeah, it probably was.
    10-4 :)

    Buffalo, Jul 8, 2003
  8. Mike Hawk

    Jimchip Guest

    It seems you have a problem with intro/attribution lines. Maybe that's
    the source of your confusion. There isn't a standard (as there is with
    the signature) but there are some conventions:
    http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/outerspace/netnews/son-of-1036.html#4.3
    It's not really coincidence. It's a case of a moron repeating the same
    bad advice, over and over again: http://tinyurl.com/gce5

    Jimchip, Jul 8, 2003