browser can't connect to specific sites on the internet

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by DosE, Dec 22, 2003.

  1. DosE

    DosE Guest

    Recently I have encountered a problem in which I can't connect to a
    specific site on the internet (a few others as well, but mainly just one
    that I care about) I have talked to other people and they say they can get
    to that site without any problems. Whenever I try to connect to it, I get
    DNS ERROR or SERVER NOT FOUND error's. I am running IE 6.0 SP1 with Win98
    SE. I have tried deleting the cookies as well as using a different browser.
    I have also reset all of the options in IE to default to see if it was some
    kind of configuration problem. I have also tried running winipcfg from
    command prompt and releasing and renewing my IP thinking it might be an
    IP address issue but this didn't work either. I have tried unplugging the
    the cable modem and plugging it back in after 5 minutes. I'm not sure what
    to do at this point, the site always worked fine but now I can't ever
    connect to it. BTW, I did have a popup blocker installed. I have read on
    Microsoft's site that they disrupted configurations of browsers so I
    uninstalled it. I think the site worked for a short time after the
    uninstallation then stopped working again if I recall correctly. This
    problem is an irritating nuisance. Does anyone have any info or
    suggestions?

    This is a little OT but I found in my Win98 "Temporary Internet Files
    folder" was a sub folder called "Content.IE5." This folder is over 2 GB in
    size and I believe has a bunch of crap left over from the temp/cache files
    of a previous IE install? Windows gave me a warning before I went to delete
    it that it was a system folder and "Windows or another program may no
    longer work correctly," wich put me off a little.I would like to delete
    this directory as it bogs down daily virus scans, I just wanted to know if
    it was safe to do so.

    Thanks for your time,
    -Dave

    DosE, Dec 22, 2003

  2. =?iso-8859-1?Q?=B0Mike=B0?=, Dec 22, 2003