Broadcom Wireless Card, I have run out of ideas

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robin, Jan 4, 2005.

  1. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Hi,

    I am at a loss and after 2 days of arguing with HP support I was sort of
    hoping that someone might have had the same experience as me and found a
    solution.

    I have just bought myself a new laptop, it has a built in wireless card made
    by broadcom. The problem is that the wireless card will connect to the
    router, it will be assigned an ip, gateway etc. (all settings are correct)
    but it will not allow me to either connect to the internet or ping any
    clients on the network.

    I have tried everything, reset the router, turned off encryption,
    uninstalled the wireless card, updated drivers and utility, reinstalled old
    drivers. Nothing works!!!!

    I have spent hours on google and found quite a few people have posted the
    same problems yet for some reason I am yet to find someone post a solution,
    unless they all just gave up and bought new cards.

    Forgot to mention, I have tried the microsoft fix for winsocks, and I have
    also used both the broadcom utility and windows zero.

    One thing that I did notice while I was trying to get it to work is that if
    I set my router to any channel other than 1 then card will not see it.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Robin, Jan 4, 2005

  2. Robin

    Stevo Guest

    Firewall settings maybe?

    Stevo, Jan 4, 2005

  3. Robin

    Stevo Guest

    Bugger, clicked send before I was finished.. too many tasks at once..

    Can you ping the router itself? Does the router have the usual web
    browser interface? Can you get to that?

    Stevo, Jan 4, 2005
  4. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Hi,

    No firewall software running at all. I can connect to the router using
    ethernet.

    No, can't even ping the router. I can't understand it at all, I thought
    maybe it had put me on the wrong subnet or something but all the settings
    are exactly right.

    Robin, Jan 4, 2005
  5. Robin

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Have you used the wireless function of the router with another system? Could
    be the wireless router is faulty...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 4, 2005
  6. Robin

    Stevo Guest

    Do you have another PC that you can use to access the router? You might
    need to set up som IP forwarding etc.. you might also have some
    security features enabled, WEP, WPA or perhaps MAC address limitations..

    Also, you have hinted that it is an HP laptop.. don't know if it is the
    same but I know that with Toshiba laptops, you need to use their inbuilt
    utility to do setup the inbuilt WL properly, rather than the generic
    Windows one..

    Stevo, Jan 4, 2005
  7. Robin

    Robin Guest

    There are another 2 computers using the router and they are working fine.

    I don't have any encryption and there isn't any mac filtering either.

    As for the utility, I have tired every single thing I can think of, using
    both the utility from HP and the windows configuration.

    To be honest with you I am totally out of ideas, I had read a post from
    someone who was having the same trouble, they managed to get it working by
    right clicking on the ssid in the utility. I think what it comes down to is
    that there are bugs and no-one has a proper soultion. HP are doing nothing
    for me at all, every time I speak to them I get the same old link with
    instructions on how to reinstall drivers.

    Thanks for the replies

    Robin, Jan 4, 2005
  8. Robin

    DcxDog Guest

    I have a new laptop also. It's a Averatec. I had the same problem.
    In the control panel it shows my wireless card as Broadcom Wireless.
    It's not the right driver. It's actually a rt2500 card. I changed the
    driver. http://www.ralinktech.com/supp-1.htm No more problems.
    I hope this is useful.

    DcxDog, Jan 4, 2005
  9. Robin

    Conor Guest

    Some makes of wireless kit are just plain incompatible with other makes
    and won't work no matter what you do.

    Conor, Jan 4, 2005
  10. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Hey,

    Just thought I would give an update in case anyone else is looking for an
    answer to this.

    I managed to get it working at last by going into configuration for the card
    and changing the rate from automatic to 5.5. In fact, every speed except 11
    or automatic worked. This would suggest to me that the drivers aren't the
    best.

    This might not work for everyone but after spending days now reading forums
    with people posting questions but never their soultions I thought that I
    would at least say how I got it working.

    Thanks for all the help

    Robin, Jan 6, 2005