Broadband+worms- solving 2 major problems at once

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Evil Bastard, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Broadband offerings in NZ suck, worms/viruses are all over the place.

    Address both these problems in one hit:

    1) A fine of $1 for every worm-laden email message that gets sent from an
    NZ-based user's computer into an NZ-based mailserver.

    2) Fines to be collected by the government and used to fund cheap
    nationwide broadband (cable/fibre in metro areas, wireless in rural).

    Result?

    - Less worms.
    - Cheaper/better broadband
    - A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    switching to open source software

    EB

    Evil Bastard, Jan 29, 2004

  2. Evil Bastard

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    There's nothing evil about you mate. You're just a tosser.

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jan 29, 2004

  3. hahaha nice... I proposed that a while ago... but umm yeah, I don't
    think it will take off... all that will happen is fear of the internet
    will occur and insurance companies will offer some kind of insurance for it.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
  4. Thats not a particuly nice comment... how do you justify the comment on
    his sexual antics? personal knowledge?

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
  5. Fair enough.

    A freind asked me the other day how hard it is to lock down a windows
    box for webserving...
    I asked him why he specifically needed a windows box.

    Turns out it was for asp. :(

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
  6. They already do. Hacker insurance premiums for windows based boxes run at
    about 4 times the level of mac/unix

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Jan 29, 2004
  7. Evil Bastard

    Evil Bastard Guest

    Pot kettle black. "Where do you want to wank today? For this month only,
    buy Micrurbation 4.75 with two service packs for 40% off list price and
    we'll throw in a complimentary MicroPr0n CD. Do it alone, or connect our
    USB device to your nether parts and do it with your friends over the net!"

    Truth being told, there are two species of entrepreneur out there.

    One species profits from liberating people, and empowering whole new
    choices they never had.

    The other species pretends to be like the first species, maybe acts like
    it for a time, but at first opportunity builds and implements a business
    plan based on keeping people ignorant and dependent, and indulges in all
    manner of dirty tricks which give capitalism a bad name.

    But compliments to you. M$ have pulled off a serious marketing coup. I've
    never seen a car company profit from selling cars with welded-shut bonnets
    that nobody can service except the overpriced service centres, and which
    can be remotely programmed to veer off the roads and smash into buildings
    and people.

    Evil Bastard, Jan 30, 2004
  8. Evil Bastard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    That's not the comment Gavin was replying to Dave, you should know that. It
    was:

    "- A bunch of whining windoze users quickly learning how to patch their
    boxen, use less insecure (ie non-M$) email/web clients, or even
    switching to open source software"

    Bad snipping there my friend.

    ~misfit~, Jan 30, 2004
  9. heh, I missed that when I read the post, oh well, still not a nice thing
    to say.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2004
  10. Evil Bastard

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    Maybe you should stop to think about the fact that not everyone in the
    world is a nice person Dave.

    This character pops up from time to time, he changes nicks frequently
    but he's not hard to recognise. If you read behind his words you might
    notice an underlying viciousness to his posts, particularly when one
    uses a blunt instrument to probe the aura of authority he gives
    himself. I find his manner unpleasant, in another time & place one
    might picture him in a brown shirt & accompanied by a couple of thugs
    to do his bidding whenever he doesn't get his own way.

    I've seen enough people like that in my life, we can do without them
    here. Maybe I'm being uncharitable & it's just the way his thoughts
    translate into words, but I find posts like the one he kicked off in
    this thread offensive and objectionable & I don't see why I or anyone
    else should have to put up with them.

    And btw 'tosser' is just a throwaway term these days. If one was to
    take it literally....well we'd all be tossers wouldn't we Dave ;-)

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Jan 30, 2004
  11. Maybe not, but does that mean that we should stop trying? nah... gotta
    spread the love.
    ummm right... decline to comment there.

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 30, 2004