    person told me that it is fullspeed up and down, 30 to 40 times faster than
    dial-up. Does this sound like a good deal?

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009

  2. No, not good. In particular the combo of full speed up/3 Gb is silly.
    So's the price. You can generally get a full speed down/128k up with a
    10Gb data cap for around $55. Full speed up only makes much sense if you
    are going to do a lot of web-page or ftp serving from your own machine
    (or p2p but less so) but for any of these purposes the 3 Gb cap would be
    ridiculously small. I don't think I'd want that particular plan of
    theirs at half the price.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2009

  3. Kooky

    Donchano Guest

    Without all the extra bells & whistles (like callminder, caller ID,
    call diversion, and friend-call-a-friend for the cellphone) we pay
    99.35 a month for our calling plan plus "Explorer" broadband. That's
    for 10gigs with no speed restrictions. IOW you can get a LOT more from
    Telecom for only $12 more a month.

    Donchano, Nov 2, 2009
  4. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    Thanks for your input Peter. I have absolutely no concept of speeds or how
    much surfing or downloading one is able to do with a 3gig cap. I'm the only
    user and it is mainly for emails and browsing the web.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009
  5. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    The 10gig package at Paradise is $95 same as Telstraclear, but I thought
    10gig would be far too much for me, but then again if the whole experience
    of surfing and downloading emails is better on broadbaand I might be
    inclined to stay online longer.

    Thanks for your input.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009
  6. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    Thank you for the Consumer link Crash. My own needs are relatively small
    but I've been getting really frustrated lately with 10megs + emails
    arriving and having to wait up to 45 minutes for them to come into to my
    email client. I can see my emails in Mailwasher and I usually delete the
    really large files from my server but I also receive newsletters which I
    have to download for the genealogy group I'm in.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009
  7. Kooky

    peter Guest

    Check out this site for comparisons
    http://www.internetchoice.co.nz/
    There is also the Consumer one posted earlier.

    HTH

    Peter

    peter, Nov 2, 2009

  8. Hmmm, I didn't notice that the price of $87 included your phoneline --
    that puts a slightly different light on it. If I include the price of my
    phoneline, I actually end up paying $106/month ...

    Still, I find with usenet reading, email, and web-surfing I use between
    2 and 6 Gigabytes monthly (that includes the odd small download,
    upgrades to browsers etc, virus checker updates, and lots of internet
    news sites, the odd demo for a computer game). If I download more than 1
    DVD's worth outside of that, I can be in trouble with my 10Gb cap ...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 2, 2009
  9. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    Great site!! Thank you Peter

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009
  10. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    I appreciate your reply and will certainly follow through on all the good
    advice.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 2, 2009
  11. Kooky

    Mary Hanna Guest

    Go to the real site of Clear.net.nz they list all the prices..

    Mary Hanna, Nov 3, 2009
  12. Kooky

    Mary Hanna Guest

    I have found that Paradise plans are not the same as Clears.

    Mary Hanna, Nov 3, 2009
  13. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    My brother and sister-in-law are changing from Paradise to Clear.
    Telecom charge $55 for a second phoneline whereas Telstraclear charge $35.
    They are currently paying $107.00 for 2 phone lines from Telecom the only
    extra is call diversion, $25.00 for 2 dial-up connections with Paradise and
    around $20.00 for tolls each month. With the Clear package it will be
    $137.00 all up with Fullspeed broadband connection with first month free.

    I really don't want the hassle of changing my email address but I may have
    to.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 3, 2009
  14. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    I guess I'll have to start somewhere and if I don't have enough gigs I'll
    have to increase the amount. Thanks again for your input.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 3, 2009
  15. Kooky

    Mutlley Guest

    Why doesn't she use a VOIP fone as a second line for $15 / month from
    the likes of 2talk??

    Mutlley, Nov 3, 2009
  16. Kooky

    Mary Hanna Guest

    I think u have to use a Telscum phone, not a Telstra Clear one.

    Mary Hanna, Nov 4, 2009
  17. Kooky

    John Little Guest

    Kooky
    Then make sure you change to an email address that is not dependent on
    your provider.

    For example, gmail or yahoo, or register your own domain.

    Regards, John

    John Little, Nov 4, 2009
  18. Kooky

    Richard Guest

    2talk is voip, it works on any functioning internet connection.

    Also comes with things like voicemail to email, cheap calls to most
    useful countries and other niceties like multiple registrations from
    other locations, caller id, multiple simultanious calls (I have done 3
    on my 2talk account) and you can register other numbers that they will
    present as your outgoing caller ID.

    Richard, Nov 4, 2009
  19. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    :eek:)) I think she has just realised she doesn't need two phone lines now.
    Nice to know there are other options for a second line though.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 4, 2009
  20. Kooky

    Kooky Guest

    I've only just found out that if you don't pay your Telescum account at
    least one week before the due date you are put on their bad payers list.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kooky, Nov 4, 2009