    I want to keep using the Zyxel router because it has a facility called
    "Traffic Redirect" which redirects requests to an alternative
    connection (an ISDN router) if the broadband connection fails.

    usenet, Apr 20, 2005

  2. usenet

    Conor Guest

    Should be fine. I suspect you know to get an ADSL modem with a 10/100
    port.

    Conor, Apr 20, 2005

  3. usenet

    usenet Guest

    Yes, however that turns out to be easier said than done, nearly
    every ADSL 'modem' with an ethernet connection is also a router and I
    suspect that is possibly a recipe for getting very confused.

    Unless I can find a very cheap ADSL modem with ethernet I may as well
    go for a new Zyxel ADSL router (which also has the Traffic Redirect
    function) and simply replace my existing Zyxel router. I can find the
    Zyxel 660H for less than £50.

    usenet, Apr 22, 2005
  4. usenet

    poster Guest

    Why ? You surely connect the WAN port from your router to (one of) the
    ethernet port(s) of the ADSL modem/router, so your router feeds into it
    as if it was a single PC. Not sure quite how your existing router will
    determine the connection is down (to switch to the ISDN) but assuming a
    timer or some similar function, it should then direct traffic to ISDN
    (but I hope it regularly checks for WAN being active again, to be able
    to switch back within a 5 minute period of the ADSL being up again...
    and some way for you to view the ADSL user interface is important too.
    DSL-300T rings a bell (Linksys perhaps) but check u.t.b for others who
    have wanted a plain ethernet -> ADSL modem without router ("Dave J" is
    one who was looking to get this)... What problems were encountered, I
    cannot remember, but it isn't all plain sailing with that modem... and
    you could probably make an ADSL modem/router operate without routing,
    using the DMZ setting for your particular router, anyway. Peter M.

    poster, Apr 30, 2005
  5. there are some ethernet modems which either act as one port routers or
    as modems but the latter means the thing plugged into it (intended to
    be a computer) gets the external IP address. This might work but you
    need to RTFM for both devices.

    The ADSLnation X-modem is one device where you can normally get advice
    up front of buying it. Westell ProLine 6000 is another such device,
    both are reviewed at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/reviews/ with some
    screen shots and outline fo the features.

    There is a Dlink as well but people with those are usually suicidal
    within hours.

    I have a Zoom X3 single port ADSL modem/router feeding into another
    Belkin router's wan port and there's an ISDN router in the mix too.
    Its all about allocating IP addresses correctly and having devices
    that are comfortable being sat behind each other and not all wanting
    to be boss and have external IPs allocated.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Apr 30, 2005
  6. Trying to do the same thing here with the Actiontec ADSL modem/router
    and my Linksys BEFSR41 'Etherfast Cable/DSL Router'. The only IP the
    Linksys is able to see on its WAN port is 198.162.0.4 which I guess is
    the IP provided by NAT on the Actiontec?

    The Actiontec setup page informs me that "If you turn NAT off, you MUST
    specify a static route for your local subnet. However, if you have
    configured an Unnumbered IP address then you will not need to disable
    NAT and/or enter any Static Route." ???

    How do I proceed?
    ahhh, that's an idea

    dave @ stejonda, May 2, 2005
  7. usenet

    poster Guest

    DHCP perhaps :)
    Can you not set the IP address within the config of the Linksys ?
    (just in case you wanted to, or plugging it into something else may give
    a clash if that has already allocated the same IP to something else).

    I will be interested to read someone's explanation in English myself.
    Must admit I am still waking up and that flew over my head :)

    Out of interest, why is it not possible to just plug into the Actiontec
    from your LAN ? I guess you have moved from some cable service to ADSL
    in which case there must be something you like about the Linksys (?)

    poster, May 2, 2005
  8. errrrm, yes I think, but isn't NAT involved too? (translating the
    external Net IP to that on the LAN?)
    errrrm which IP address?
    errrrm, I'm totally confused by this
    Oh no. :(
    Plug what exactly into the Actiontec?
    The Actiontec has just one ethernet port. I'd like to use something to
    provide a 100Mbps link between the local PCs and access to the ADSL bb
    to each as well. The Linksys can connect the PCs locally - I was hoping
    that it could also be linked to the Actiontec to provide the Net access
    as well.

    dave @ stejonda, May 2, 2005
  9. usenet

    poster Guest

    The translation is done because of NAT, but the addresses on the LAN can be
    set a number of ways. On my LAN, each PC has a fixed IP rather than using
    DHCP to be allocated an address by a DHCP server (router for example).

    The WAN port address. On my LAN, I use addresses such as 10.0.0.xx and
    in your case, you'd have to make sure there was some difference between
    the 'LAN' side and the 'WAN' side... so I'd perhaps set the 'LAN' port
    IP for the Actiontec to be 10.0.1.yy and allow it to use DHCP to give
    out IP addresses... then the Linksys WAN port would be allocated some
    address in the form 10.0.1.xx (so it is different to the DHCP / LAN
    ports, which in my case would be 10.0.0.xxx)
    Sorry, just that if you set up DHCP on more than one device to allocate
    addresses in the same range, then plugging one of the units into the other
    could allow a device to have an IP address which is already being used.

    For example, if both your Actiontec and Linksys were giving out addresses
    in the range 10.0.0.50 - 10.0.0.60 then say I plugged a PC into Linksys
    and it was allocated 10.0.0.50. Then I plug the Linksys into Actiontec
    and the Linksys is allocated 10.0.0.50 Now, for some reason (say I want
    to make a config change on the Actiontec, from the PC, and have some prob
    reaching it via the Linksys) I plug the PC into the Actiontec, direct, I
    now have two devices with the IP address 10.0.0.50 which will cause some
    problems. Hence the need to have significantly different ranges for the
    two DHCP servers, to avoid conflicts.

    plug PC(s) directly into the Actiontec
    Oh. Well you could use just a multi-port hub or switch, rather than the
    router... or plug the Actiontec into one of the LAN ports of the Linksys
    so it is like one of the PCs. I thought you were after something special
    (such as isolating the PCs behind the router so they could access the net
    but any other PCs connected to the Actiontec were unable to 'see' the PCs
    'behind' the Linksys router.

    I'd be happy to do you a swap for a 12 port hub... or 16, or 24 :)

    poster, May 3, 2005
  10. Ok - unfortunately both the Linksys & Actiontec DHCP servers are limited
    to providing IPs in the range 192.168.1.*. However, with the limited
    quantity of PCs I'm ever likely to connect I can overcome this potential
    problem by starting one range 100 above the other.
    Well it is a friendly blue colour. :) And I'd rather use a bit of kit
    I have than buy another.
    In fact, plugging the Actiontec into the WAN port of the Linksys did
    work after all. I hadn't thought I needed to change the DNS entries in
    the Linksys from NTL's DNS IPs to those provided by UKOnline. (doh!)

    A friend keeps telling me that using a switch instead of a router would
    be faster - fewer conflicts - is this true?
    No, I just wanted everything internally to see everything else. I like a
    simple life. Can anyone suggest a simple book on TCP/IP networking?

    All I have to do now is work out how to get my 8000/512 connection to
    stop connecting at 576/288. All this messing about seems to have upset
    the Actiontec. :(

    dave @ stejonda, May 4, 2005