    and look they say there is no problem with there line ect,any help
    please
    thanks

    teza, Sep 13, 2007

  2. teza

    ded Guest

    hi
    i am on bt broadband which works fine as does my broadband phone,the
    problem is my land line number does not work it is compleatly dead,my
    question is why does broadband work but not my land line,i only have
    one cable in to the house,i have checked the wiring used diffrent
    phones on the main line ect but still nothin,bt wont £100 just to
    come
    and look they say there is no problem with there line ect,any help
    please
    thanks

    Your modem and telephone will share the same socket? If so
    there is a filter that connects the two devices, you may just need
    to replace the filter - a small plug-in module that the phone and
    modem plug into. Approx £1 from Curry's, Maplins etc
    If that dosen't work -
    The BT support was in India, but it may now be on Mars, wherever,
    Call them and use these exact words:
    "You have my problem logged <quote ref number> I'm instructing
    you to either instruct an engineer to sync my connections at my
    local exchange or terminate my account within 48 hours, then <supply
    a contact number> "
    Apparently they will "obey" such an instruction, and a UK engineer
    will check your connection and call you at the supplied contact number.
    Once you have a UK engineer on the phone, don't let him go until
    you get the answers/explainations, they are not allowed to terminate
    a call with a customer.

    ded, Sep 13, 2007

  3. teza

    Whiskers Guest

    I'm guessing that by "broaband phone" you mean one of the "voice over
    internet protocol (VoIP)" services.

    If you unplug the 'filter' and disconnect the broadband stuff from the
    telephone system, and then plug a telephone into the telephone socket
    closest to the place where the telephone line comes indoors, does the
    telephone work?

    Whiskers, Sep 13, 2007
  4. teza

    teza Guest

    hi
    thanks for the replyies
    first i have no dialing tone,then i have disconnected every thing and
    plugged the phone in the socket which comes into the house but still
    nothing ,the phone is connected to my broadband moden and works fine
    just got to try the other and ring bt on mars

    teza, Sep 13, 2007
  5. teza

    Alfred Guest

    I had this same problem a couple of months back.
    Report it on the BT fault reporting site.
    http://tinyurl.com/3btwvk

    They will test the line. If the fault is on your 'own' line there
    will be a charge

    Alfred, Sep 13, 2007
  6. teza

    Whiskers Guest

    If that is true even when you try different phones (which you know to be
    working) plugged directly into the main phone socket, then clearly there is
    a serious fault and it shouldn't cost you anything to get a BT engineer to
    visit and repair it. I believe they only charge for a visit if they find
    that the fault is in your own equipment rather than in theirs.

    I'm assuming that you do have a current landline telephone account with
    BT, of course ...
    I don't know what you mean by that.

    Oh, hang on, are you talking about "BT Broadband Talk" with a "BT Home
    Hub" router? The user forum here <http://hubbub.labs.bt.com/> might be
    worth trying for help.

    There's also a lot of stuff here
    <http://bt.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bt.cfg/php/enduser/cci/bt_catpage.php?p_sid
    =&cat_lvl1=346&cat_lvl2=431&cat_lvl3=432&p_cv=3.432&p_cats=346,431,432>
    or <http://shortlinks.co.uk/44m> for short.

    I think that you can dial 5 on the telephone connected to the 'Home Hub' to
    switch it between using the 'Broadband Talk' and 'landline' systems - the
    landline dial tone is lower-pitch than the 'Broadband Talk' dial tone.
    Whether or not the 'Home Hub' needs to have both DSL and telephone wires
    plugged into the wall socket for that to work, seems to depend on which
    model you have.
    I'd stick to trying Earthly numbers only ;)) If you /are/ using 'BT
    Broadband Talk' make it clear to the support people - it could make a big
    difference to the way your telephone line is meant to work. I've never
    used it myself, so I'm just guessing about that - the 'help' I've just
    skimmed through on their web site makes me suspect that strange things are
    done to a telephone line used for 'BT Broadband Talk'.

    Whiskers, Sep 13, 2007
  7. teza

    teza Guest

    thanks for the advice i shall try some of the suggestions
    thanks

    teza, Sep 13, 2007
  8. teza

    Aardvark Guest

    THEIR line ETC (short for the Latin phrase 'et cetera', meaning 'and so
    forth')

    Moron.

    --
    Registered Linux User 413057.