    I like the solution in principle, but have concerns that every time you
    use an electrical appliance there will be some degradation of the
    quality of service?

    Bypass, Oct 22, 2006

  2. Bypass

    Ken Guest

    http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
    I bought three Solwise gadgets (85Mbps) a few days ago as per link and had
    plugged in and working within minutes.
    For years I had wireless with no problems then about one year ago started
    getting regular disconnections, tried four different routers, two separate
    PC engineers and a number of calls to router tech support. No one could
    solve the problems and thought I would need to go wired until on this NG
    someone suggested these gadgets. For me now to be able to go through each
    and every day with no problem is a real luxury.

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 22, 2006

  3. Bypass

    Bypass Guest

    Ken wrote:

    Ken, that's really helpful.

    Are you using VoIP with these units, and if so, how is it connected up?
    Can you simply plug a switch box into the Solwise adapter?

    Bypass, Oct 22, 2006
  4. Bypass

    Bypass Guest

    Oops, bad form I know to reply to your own post, but I've now found
    typical setups on Solwise's website showing the use of ethernet switches.

    I'm now just looking for comments using VoIP on this type of networking.

    Bypass, Oct 22, 2006
  5. Bypass

    David Cook Guest

    No problem, we have two. One is in our first floor home office hooked
    upto an ethernet switch and broadband connection. The second is in our
    ground floor lounge and is plugged into a wireless access point and
    networked Tivo.

    A VOIP connection from my work laptop via wireless back to the work PABX
    (IAX using Idefisk soft phone) has no degradation of quality and no
    drop-outs. The powerline networking adapters do just simply work
    plug-n-play.

    Best regards
    David Cook

    David Cook, Oct 22, 2006
  6. Bypass

    Bypass Guest

    David, are you using the Solwise adapters? What speed are they?

    If UK broadband is 'maxed out' at 8Mbps is there any need to get
    adapters greater than 14Mbps?

    Bypass, Oct 22, 2006
  7. Bypass

    Tony Guest

    I'm successfully using the 14Mb/s Solwise units. My only concern is that
    you should check whether there is any sort of inductive unit between a
    socket in the house and a socket in the barn. A separate meter? A
    Residual Current Device (RCD)? Anything with inductance in series with
    the mains wiring will attenuate the Powerline signal. In my tests, they
    worked well between 2 mains rings, so only a couple of Miniature Circuit
    Breakers (MCBs) in between, but they failed with 2 RCBs in between.
    Otherwise, I thoroughly recommend them.

    Tony, Oct 22, 2006
  8. Bypass

    Ken Guest

    The reason I got the 85Mbps is moving files from PC to PC in my small office
    environment otherwise the guy from Solwise tech support said the 14Mbps
    would of been fine for my usage. I also felt I needed to be as future proof
    as possible.

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 22, 2006
  9. Bypass

    Ken Guest

    No not using VoIP but others on the NG may help. Why not call the Tech
    support. I did before I bought with Solwise and they were helpful.

    Ken

    Ken, Oct 22, 2006
  10. Bypass

    Flyer Guest

    BE currently supplies "upto" 24Meg via their LLU sites ;-)
    I think the 14Mbps kit is being succeeded by the 85 and higher, so may as
    well go for the 85's.

    P.

    Flyer, Oct 22, 2006
  11. Bypass

    David Cook Guest

    David Cook, Oct 22, 2006
  12. Bypass

    David Cook Guest

    We did have the 14Mbs adapters but on occasion copy multi-GB files from
    the Tivo to archive TV content to DVD. We now have the 85Mbs adapters,
    the 14 Mbs adapters were donated to my brother.

    Like Wireless 14/85 Mbs is the theoretical performance with this
    technology. Real world you are not going to achieve it. For the small
    price differential I would buy the 85 Mbs devices, however for VOIP use
    the 14 Mbs devices would be more than adequate if necessary.

    Best regards
    David Cook

    David Cook, Oct 22, 2006
  13. Bypass

    David Cook Guest

    Also don't forget that this is a shared bandwidth technology. The 85 Mbs
    devices may help if you are going to run 3-4+ simultaneously. A good
    approach could be to use a mixture.

    Solwise would confirm but I believe that the 14 & 85 Mbs devices will
    coexist and communicate with each other without the 14 Mbs devices
    forcing the 85 Mbs devices to run at the slower speed. You could then
    use 14 Mbs devices for pure internet access/VOIP connectivity, using the
    85 Mbs devices for computers and other equipment that needed higher
    local bandwidth.

    David Cook, Oct 22, 2006
  14. I'd be interested in any comments from people that have first hand
    I would suggest that you use a wireless network with directional antennae.
    This will cost more but should be much more reliable and give much higher
    speed.

    Peter Crosland

    Peter Crosland, Oct 22, 2006
  15. Bypass

    NutCracker Guest

    Yep, the 85 units work very well....and I'll be upgrading to the 200
    units next month! :)

    http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-av.htm

    NutCracker, Oct 22, 2006
  16. Bypass

    Roger Mills Guest

    I was going to raise the same concern, but Tony beat me to it.

    You say that mains in the barn is supplied from the house, but you don't say
    whether the barn has its own consumer unit. If it *has*, this solution may
    not work. I'm sure I've read somewhere that this technology only works when
    all the mains wiring comes off the *same* consumer unit (possibly by design
    to prevent interference with the 1 in 3 of your neighbours on the same phase
    as you). It may be as well to check with the supplier.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Oct 22, 2006
  17. Not necessarily. The newer powerline adapters are faster than 54G, and
    less susceptible to interference. Plus you're not restricted about
    where you can stick 'em.

    Mark McIntyre, Oct 22, 2006
  18. They also provide a more consistent link with very little latency.
    I've only tried using them with wiring that is on the same board though.

    Thomas Kenyon, Oct 23, 2006
  19. Bypass

    Polly Guest

    .... and what about security and privacy, never mind the ease of
    setting the network up?

    Polly, Oct 23, 2006
  20. Bypass

    Paul D.Smith Guest

    Setting wireless security is actually easy and directional antenna also
    reduce the risk of someone hacking in. Odds are the OP is in the middle of
    nowhere so OK but in threory I could move in next door, plug in my powerline
    adapter and might get access to your network.

    Well worth warning though so I don't want to sound patronizing as many
    people simply don't think about security. Line-of-site wireless also gives
    good throughput, even with low gain antenna. It's those pesky walls inside
    the house that cause the problems :).

    Waiting to read the OPs "thanks all, it worked" e-mail on whichever route he
    chooses ;-).

    Paul DS

    Paul D.Smith, Oct 24, 2006