Broadband distribution over 802.11g? Anyone doing this?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by [email protected], Aug 11, 2003.

  1. I'd like to be able to connect my PC downstairs to the internet without
    having the PC upstairs turned on; likewise with my laptop. Question
    is, how do I get this to work? Here's what I have so far:

    ADSL Nation X-Modem (ethernet) upstairs
    4 port mini hub (not a router)
    Wireless PCI card in PC downstairs
    Wireless Laptop card

    After seeing tests in PC Pro magazine I'm going for Linksys kit, but
    do I get the WirelessG Broadband Router or the WirelessG Access Point?
    I understand there are problems using the X-Modem with Linksys
    equipment (only supports PPPoE not PPPoA), so if the X-Modem has to go,
    so be it.

    Can someone who has successfully shared broadband over an 802.11g
    network as required above let me know what equipment they used to get it
    running?

    Thanks,

    Lee.
    --
    Editor, DVD Debate
    http://www.dvddebate.com

    Upset motorists: remember, motorways offer a hard shoulder to cry on.

    [email protected], Aug 11, 2003