Broad Band Now this is talking turkey

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004.

  1. PC World | 200Mbps shock for Broadband over powerlines
    "200Mbps shock for Broadband over powerlines

    Howard Dahdah, PC World

    20/12/2004 15:49:31

    Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs, but a trial
    using household powerlines has made it a reality.

    A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    finished last month."
    http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004

  2. In article <>,
    Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    >Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    >power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs...

    power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.

    >A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    >tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    >has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    >finished last month."
    >http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2004

  3. In article <>,

    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 21/12/2004 2:33 p.m.:
    > In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >

    >>Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    >>power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs...

    > power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.
    >

    >>A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    >>tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    >>has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    >>finished last month."
    >>http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    > We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    > remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    hitches

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    his toes.

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004

    Collector»NZ, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Collector»NZ

    JedMeister Guest

    "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 21/12/2004 2:33 p.m.:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    >>>power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs...

    >> power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.
    >>

    >>>A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    >>>tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    >>>has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    >>>finished last month."
    >>>http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    >> We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    >> remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    > Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    > hitches

    Believe it when i see it.

    JedMeister, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Collector»NZ

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 21/12/2004 2:33 p.m.:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    >>>power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs...

    >> power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.
    >>

    >>>A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    >>>tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    >>>has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    >>>finished last month."
    >>>http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    >> We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    >> remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    > Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    > hitches

    Believe it when i see it.

    JedMeister, Dec 21, 2004
  8. In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > Collector»NZ <> wrote:

    *SNIP*
    >We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    >remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    The biggest technical snag is the interference that it puts out on
    regulated radio frequencies - the amatuer radio bands for starters. Ham
    isn't a dying art. During the cold snap over north America that knocked
    out power over wide areas, hams did a lot of emergency communications
    work. Similarly, they were able to function from downtown Manhattan on
    11/9, even when the cellular and phone networks were jammed.
    They're slow to rise, but pissing off amatuer radio operators is a very
    bad idea. There're good reasons why their radio bands are legislatively
    protected in every country that controls the EM spectrum, and
    broadband-over-power isn't a good enough reason to ditch them.

    --
    Matthew Poole Auckland, New Zealand
    "Veni, vidi, velcro...

    My real e-mail is mattATp00leDOTnet

    Matthew Poole, Dec 21, 2004
  9. In article <>, Lawrence D¹Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >In article <>,

    *SNIP*

    Matthew Poole, Dec 21, 2004
  10. Collector»NZ

    Axle Guest

    Unknown wrote:
    > On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:46:45 +1300, JedMeister wrote:
    >

    >>"Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message

    >>>Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    >>>hitches

    >>Believe it when i see it.

    > plz excuse the late addition to this thread..
    > wasnt wired country ( counties power ) at some stage offering internet
    > over the powerlines ( although not at the bandwidth mentioned here ) to
    > pukekohe residents .. i have looked at thier site ( and the packing
    > shed's ) and cant find any mention of this venture
    > also.. i mentioned this technology to some trainee techs' and all of them
    > reacted with horrer at the thought of connecting modems to a 240 V line (
    > forgetting of course thier computers were already connected to the power
    > supply.. and the phone lines are powered albeit at a lower voltage )

    You can buy homeplug mains networking adapters now at DSE to use within
    your own home.
    http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.filereader?41d76b6909b11c96273fc0a87f99074c+EN/catalogs/CTG0001781

    Axle, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Collector»NZ

    Axle Guest

    Axle, Jan 2, 2005
  12. Collector»NZ

    Unknown Guest

    On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 07:46:45 +1300, JedMeister wrote:

    > "Collector»NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 21/12/2004 2:33 p.m.:

    >>> power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.

    >>> We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    >>> remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    >> Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    >> hitches

    > Believe it when i see it.

    plz excuse the late addition to this thread..
    wasnt wired country ( counties power ) at some stage offering internet
    over the powerlines ( although not at the bandwidth mentioned here ) to
    pukekohe residents .. i have looked at thier site ( and the packing
    shed's ) and cant find any mention of this venture
    also.. i mentioned this technology to some trainee techs' and all of them
    reacted with horrer at the thought of connecting modems to a 240 V line (
    forgetting of course thier computers were already connected to the power
    supply.. and the phone lines are powered albeit at a lower voltage )

    --

    The only difference between a car salesman and a computer salesman is
    that the car salesman knows he's lying.

    Unknown, Jan 2, 2005
  13. Collector»NZ

    Unknown Guest

    Unknown, Jan 2, 2005

    nunya feckin bizzo, Jan 4, 2005
  15. On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 14:34:02 +1300, Collector»NZ wrote:

    > Lawrence D¹Oliveiro said the following on 21/12/2004 2:33 p.m.:
    >> In article <>,
    >> Collector»NZ <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Internet downloads at over 100 times current speeds by plugging into a
    >>>power socket may shock even the biggest Broadband buffs...

    >> power socket ... shock ... heh-heh.
    >>

    >>>A new 200Mbps technology called Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) has been
    >>>tested successfully by Energy Australia in Newcastle. Initial feedback
    >>>has been overwhelmingly positive following the three-month trial, which
    >>>finished last month."
    >>>http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1826952087;fp;2;fpid;1

    >> We've heard this sort of thing claimed so many times before. Anybody
    >> remember Norweb? Always, some unforeseen technical snag has turned up.

    > Actually it is in use in the states admittedly with a few interference
    > hitches

    wasnt wired county of pukekohe doing something like this at one stage?

    nunya feckin bizzo, Jan 4, 2005