    about different beeps and what they mean, but there was nothing
    describing this siren thing. Does anyone have the slightest idea what
    might be going on?

    PuppyKatt, Jan 6, 2004

  2. PuppyKatt

    Cubzilla Guest

    Check yer fans see if any have seized or running slow, especially the
    processor fan

    Cubzilla, Jan 6, 2004

  3. PuppyKatt

    ICee Guest

    If it's an Award BIOS, a high/low tone indicates a bad CPU. See this:
    http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html

    ICee, Jan 6, 2004
  4. PuppyKatt

    ImhoTech Guest

    This was one symptom that abit boards with failed caps exhibited and also a
    symptom exhibited by some boards that had "cpu fan failure" protection.
    You'll have to open the case up and have a look at capacitors around the cpu
    socket. The tops should look flat or slightly concave. It the tops are
    raised or rounded or there is any sign of leakage, then the motherboard is
    failing.

    ImhoTech, Jan 6, 2004
  5. PuppyKatt

    ICee, Jan 6, 2004
  6. PuppyKatt

    ICee Guest

    Good point. To add to that, here is a site with pictures of bad
    capacitors so you get an idea of what to look for. They also do repairs
    to MB's. Also, it's possible the fan on the CPU heatsink is bad and
    stopped or is very dirty and turning too slowly.
    http://www.motherboardrepair.com/index.php?sec=images

    ICee, Jan 6, 2004
  7. PuppyKatt

    philo Guest

    Whatever the problem is...it was not caused by defragging in safe mode.

    philo, Jan 6, 2004
  8. PuppyKatt

    tim Guest

    Possibly a trojan virus or something like that?

    tim, Jan 6, 2004
  9. PuppyKatt

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Thank you all for the replies (except Tim). It does look like CPU
    failure, then, so we will take it in to a pro.

    : PuppyKatt wrote:
    : > My dad's computer refuses to boot. Upon turning the computer on,
    all
    : > we get is a siren that sounds somewhat like the British
    : > emergency/police sirens. No picture on the monitor, no messages of
    : > any kind; just the siren. I finally got around to taking my
    computer
    : > over to his house, and While he fiddled around on mine, I took his
    : > cover off. There does not seem to be anything loose, broken, or
    : > missing. He says that it is my fault, because his hard drive
    refused
    : > to defrag, so I used safe-mode to clean things up. Apparently, this
    : > siren thing started a couple of days after I defragged for him. I
    : > went to a website that offers clues about different beeps and what
    :
    : If it's an Award BIOS, a high/low tone indicates a bad CPU. See this:
    : http://www.amptron.com/html/bios.beepcodes.html
    :
    :
    : --
    : "I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go
    by."
    : Douglas Adams
    :
    :

    PuppyKatt, Jan 7, 2004
  10. PuppyKatt

    John Holmes Guest

    NOTE: This message was sent thru a mail2news gateway.
    No effort was made to verify the identity of the sender.

    DataSpider came up with this:

    Yeah, sure. But reading the OP's post I understand the "sirene" sound
    comes up upon boot so the harddrive isn't acessed at that time. Where was
    that MBR again? Oh, on the harddisk.

    It's some kind of hardware failure and I recommend the OP to read the
    replies, especially those concerning CPU fans.

    HAND

    John Holmes, Jan 7, 2004
  11. PuppyKatt

    Sano Guest

    Huh?

    Maybe his wasn't a good answer, it wasn't a wrong answer.

    Sano, Jan 7, 2004