    plenty of details in the sky but with the rest of the photo going too
    dark and lacking in color.

    Is there a way to bring out the clouds in a photo like this?

    Ted, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Ted

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    I recently took a landscape photo with a Canon digital camera in RAW
    You can create an image from each of the methods, then blend them as you
    like in Photoshop or other similar program. You could also look into a
    polarizing filter for your camera.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Oct 5, 2005

  3. Many third party programs (I use Photoshop elements 3 - 4 just came out)
    can work with the highlights and shadows independently. That is likely what
    you want.

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 5, 2005
  4. Today Joseph Meehan spoke these views with conviction for
    everyone's edification:
    PSP 9 and X also, although not many people here like PSP. PSP 9
    allows me to independently change shadow, midtone, and
    highlight. The only thing it doesn't have is contrast, that I
    have to adjust separately.

    I also find that selecting just the sky with a mild feather and
    smoothing helps me a lot in changing skies to what I think looks
    "good" without messing up the primary subject or
    background/foreground.

    All Things Mopar, Oct 5, 2005
  5. Ted

    GTO Guest

    There is a saying about "garbage in produces garbage out". In your case, you
    first need to understand the play of light and shadow in your scene. Most
    likely, if you had used a circular polarizing filter you would have much
    more "detail" in your sky image. Like in science, sample prep is 75% of your
    work. And using the correct illumination and filters, is 3/4 of your
    photographic success. This has nothing to do whether you are using a DSLR or
    color slide film.

    Gregor

    GTO, Oct 6, 2005
  6. Ted

    Ted Guest

    You're right about "garbage in produces garbage out". But I had to work
    with the conditions that I had at the time. Nice partly cloudy skies
    would have been real nice, but all I had was grey cloudy skies. But at
    least the sky isn't washed out and there is detail in it. So just as
    long as I can figure out how to bring it out...

    Ted, Oct 6, 2005