    Martik Guest

    5 year old lcd has a few bright spots about the an inch across. Screen is
    still very clear and readable. What would cause the spots?

    Martik, Nov 23, 2005

  2. Martik

    Evan Platt Guest

    A bad pixel / group of pixels.

    Evan Platt, Nov 23, 2005

  3. Martik

    Plato Guest

    Age.

    Plato, Nov 24, 2005
  4. Martik

    Mitch Guest

    If they have a sharp edge, water might do that.

    Mitch, Nov 24, 2005
  5. Martik

    Keme Guest

    If the spots are near circular with a soft edge, they're probably caused
    by repeated/enduring pressure, either from the keyboard/chassis or some
    objects in between (a few sheets of paper can do that) when the laptop
    is closed, or a pointing finger always hitting the same spots.

    If the spots have sharp edges, pixel failure is a probable cause. This
    can be caused by
    - electronics failure (which often shows as vertical/horizontal coloured
    lines or repeating pattern),
    - internal, mechanical fault (supporting agent in the liquid layer.),
    - cracking front cover (sometimes bright, but normally black spots,
    which will start along the crack and gradually expand to cover the
    entire screen).

    There may be other causes, but I guess the above are the most likely ones.

    Keme, Nov 24, 2005
  6. Martik

    martik Guest

    Yes, they are soft edged and 'roundish'. I suppose the only fix is a new
    LCD?

    Thanks

    martik, Nov 24, 2005
  7. Martik

    Keme Guest

    I'm afraid so!

    In my experience, getting it changed at a shop costs nearly as much as a
    new laptop. Be sure to get an estimate before you say "go".

    With some luck and a bit of skill you can get an affordable replacement
    and change it yourself, though. Just make sure you get a suitable part
    (there are quite a few different, incompatible, screen types), keep
    grounded (to remove static, which could damage electronics) and remember
    there's high voltage present. Nothing near CRT voltages, but around 100V
    can hurt a lot! Disconnect all potential power sources!

    Keme, Nov 25, 2005
  8. Martik

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In Keme spewed forth:
    My boss's Dell has some of that - minor, not enough to be annoying. It's
    from the keycaps. He packs the thing in his carrying case and hauls it home
    everynight. My guess is he has the case too full and it's putting excessive
    pressure on the laptop.
    I've bought LCDs on eBay and changed them myself. It takes some adroitness
    with the small screws and such though. And as always, be sure the seller on
    eBay has good feedback, and offers a no DOA guarantee at the very least.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 25, 2005
  9. Martik

    Martik Guest

    Thanks to both of you. I have the adroitness to perform the task but don't
    think it worth the $100 or so for a new LCD. I'll keep checking ebay - may
    get lucky.

    Martik, Nov 25, 2005