Bridging/Routing configuraiton over t1

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Steven Potter, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. I have the following hardware:

    Cisco 2501 (IOS 12.0)
    Adtran TSU 100
    T1
    Adtran TSU 100
    Cisco 2501 (IOS 12.0)

    I have both routers hooked up to the t1 (via adtran) using serial 0, and
    eth0 is connected to the local networks on both sides.

    My goal is to be able to share files via windows smb across the t1. I'm
    assuming that the easiest method to do this would be to bridge the
    traffic, because if I remember correctly smb traffic is not routable.
    Correct?

    So anyway, what I am looking for is a sample configurion to make this
    work. I have tried setting eth0 and serial0 on each router to bridge
    group 1, but it doesn't seem to work.

    Any assistance would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Steven Potter

    Steven Potter, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Whether smb is routable depends on the carrier protocol it uses. If it uses
    IP (modern windows environment) it is (ofcourse) routable. The only protocol
    that is not routable that can carry smb is netbeui (don't use netbeui).

    For your setup, I would suggest you configure the T1 to route packets from
    one end to the other.

    Sample setup (assuming IP as the carrier protocol):

    Location A:
    ip routing
    int e0/0
    ip address <unused address from range of location A>
    no shutdown
    int s0/0
    ip address <first usable address from a new /30 range>
    no shutdown
    ip route <network address ethernet location B> serial0/0

    Location B:
    ip routing
    int e0/0
    ip address <unused address from range of location B>
    no shutdown
    int s0/0
    ip address <second usable address from a the new /30 range>
    no shutdown
    ip route <network address ethernet location A> serial0/0

    Configure all hosts on either location to use the router's ethernet port ip
    address as the default gateway.

    For Windows file sharing to use names (ex \\serverA\shareone, instead of
    \\192.168.1.1\shareone), configure either local LMHOSTS files on all
    systems, or setup a WINS server in one of the locations and have all hosts
    use the WINS server in their IP configuration.

    In case you're using something anything other than IP, maybe IPX (novell),
    you need additional software on the routers and a more complex setup.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Thanks for the information, I think that would work except for the fact
    that the computers at location A already have their deafault gateway set
    to a different address so they can access the internet. Is this going to
    cause problems?

    Thanks

    Steven Potter

    Steven Potter, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Hi,

    You can add a second route to the router in location A pointing to the
    existing default gateway. The route looks like:
    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <existing-gateway-ip>

    and/or add a route to the existing gateway pointing to the T1 router at
    location A:
    (if it's a cisco) ip route <network address ethernet location B>
    <ipaddress ethernet router location A>

    As long as all devices know where to send a packet to, you'll be fine.

    Erik

    Erik Tamminga, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Steven Potter

    bramsey3

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Messages:
    4
    Likes Received:
    0
    Success????

    Were you ever successful at getting this set up? I am trying to do the same thing with a pair of cisco 2610's and am having trouble with the routing congifuration.

    bramsey3, Aug 11, 2006