Bridge NetBEUI - can I use a PVLAN instead?

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rob, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    I've been meaning to use this feature. I don't know if this is such
    an occasion.

    I have two separate networks on separate VLAN's. For the most part,
    they need to be isolated from each other at layer 2, so creating a
    single VLAN routing both networks (one secondary IP) would not work.

    But I do have two boxes though that need to talk to each other at
    layer 2 because of NetBEUI. They are on different VLAN's and IP
    networks. I don't want any other boxes on either VLAN to be in the
    same layer-2 broadcast domain except these two. I could probably turn
    on bridging and filter out everything but the NetBEUI protocols, but
    if I can use the private-vlan feature of Cisco switches, I think that
    may work better.

    Is this what it is used for? Based on my description above, could
    somebody tell me if I would use promiscuous or community PVLAN ports
    to accomplish my goal?

    Thanks,
    Robert

    Rob, Sep 17, 2007