    hope that someone could give me directions how to do this bridging myself.
    Thanks.
    Mary

    M. K., May 25, 2005

  2. M. K.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Call D-Link for help with your router not your DSL provider.

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2005

  3. M. K.

    M. K. Guest

    Hello,
    I was guided through all that D-Link could do for me and was advised by
    their tech to call my ISP for directions on how to perform the bridge. I did
    that and as I indicated I was told that I should bring the equipment in for
    them to configure. I know that they charge for this and had hoped that I
    could do it at home. As a parting comment the ISP tech said I should go and
    purchase a Linksys router as no bridging would be required. Well I have all
    ready purchased this D-Link and sent off the guarantee, purchase a
    maintenance agreement and sent the papers for a rebate. My husband and I are
    both required and hubby who is not computer literate at all is already
    complaining about the cost of all of this. I don't dare approach him with a
    requirement to junk this new router and go purchase another or spend more
    mone for dononbi to configure it. I was hoping that some on on the help
    newsgroup list could help me.
    Mary

    M. K., May 25, 2005
  4. M. K.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    When you say Bridge are you just trying to connect the modem to the router?
    If so In most cases, the UPLINK port on the D-Link should be used to connect
    to the DSL modem. Do you have a manual for that modem? If not I do and I can
    send it to you.

    pcbutts1, May 25, 2005
  5. M. K.

    M. K. Guest

    Hello again pc,
    I attached all hardware as instructed in the instructions for the router. I
    attempted to install the router with the instructions and ran into some
    problems so I contacted the D-link tech and he walked me through everything
    and when we had completed the installation there is not internet connection
    so he the d-link tech said that I would need to do a bridge between the
    modem and the router. Both have wireless capabilities. That is where the
    rub seems to be from what I detected from the conversation with the d-link
    tech. No when I received the package with the modem from my ISP a manual was
    not included. Do you think that there would be information in there that
    could remedy this problem? The way that I have the hardware set up
    according to the D-link instruction is that there is a cable from the modem
    to the router and have ethernet cables from my desktop and my husband's
    desktop computers to the router. At a later date if and when funds allow I
    may put a wireless card in my husbands computer but I don't intend to put
    one in my desktop as the router, modem, and phone lines are running from my
    work space.
    Mary

    M. K., May 26, 2005
  6. M. K.

    M. K. Guest

    PC,

    Do you suppose that you could give me some guidance in accomplishing the
    attached task as I am thinking that maybe I can keep this d-link and not
    have to return it and could make this set up work with out too much more
    work and not require me to go to the trouble of returning all of this as I
    have already sent off the rebate papers for it.

    Mary

    I contacted actiontec and this is what I received from them:

    Mary,

    DO NOT reply to this email. This is a send only account.

    You wrote:

    I have today purchased a D-Link Wirless 108G Router (Dl-624) so I can run a
    second computer from the modem. I need to know how to bridge the two. I
    don't want to have to disconnect everything and take it to my ISP
    (donobi.com)as they desire if I can do this at home myself. If I have to
    disconnect I have no service while the equipment is gone. It requires me
    probably two 35 mile round trips and more funds on a retirement income.

    The tech as donobi's answer to my problem is to buy another different

    router. Thank you Mary

    The reponse to this issue is below:

    The GT701-WG is already a router, as well as a DSL Modem. You do not need
    another router. If you need additional ports for a wired connection, a
    10/100 hub or switch with an uplink port would be a better solution since
    they are "dumb" devices that do not do any routing. When you have two
    routers connected, each must be on a separate network address and subnet,
    and you must set a route between the two network subnets. Also, by default
    the D-Link routers use the same LAN IP address as the GT701-WG, so you would
    need to change the LAN IP address of one of them to be in a different
    network addressing scheme, such as 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1 etc.

    Setting up mutliple routers, static routing, non-Actiontec hardware, and
    other Advanced Networking, is outside of the normal scope of support of this
    product, but is available through our Pay-For-Support program. The charge
    for the Pay-For-Support line is $29.95 per incident. The phone number for
    our Pay-For-Support line is 1-888-825-9075.

    M. K., May 26, 2005
  7. M. K.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Ok I will try but it is very involved. What the tech guy told you is correct
    you really did not need the D-Link. First download the modem manual from
    here http://www.seedsv.com/downloads/actiontec.pdf This manual is from Qwest
    but is basically the same. Chapter 6 tells you how to configure a bridge,
    like the guy said you will have to change the default IP address for the
    modem it's in the manual. Try that first then plug in a cable between the
    two using the uplink ports.

    If that does not work then we will try something else.

    pcbutts1, May 26, 2005
  8. M. K.

    Pennywise Guest

    |>The GT701-WG is already a router, as well as a DSL Modem. You do not need
    |>another router. If you need additional ports for a wired connection, a
    |>10/100 hub or switch with an uplink port would be a better solution since
    |>they are "dumb" devices that do not do any routing. When you have two
    |>routers connected, each must be on a separate network address and subnet,
    |>and you must set a route between the two network subnets. Also, by default
    |>the D-Link routers use the same LAN IP address as the GT701-WG, so you would
    |>need to change the LAN IP address of one of them to be in a different
    |>network addressing scheme, such as 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1 etc.

    Just caught this thread, and I've got the same modem.

    To get into the GT701-WG - in a browser type 192.168.0.1 <enter>

    Click on Setup/Config
    Click on advanced setup - then begin advanced setup
    On the left click on LAN IP Address.
    This is where you enter the address, I'd keep it 192.168.0.1 and
    change the router address.

    You get into the router the same way (same address).

    Got a neighbor who had a router set up as mention'd, he finally got
    rid of it as he couldn't use messenger with it connected.

    That out of the way why don't you read doc's? On the CD that came with
    the modem has a PDF that will explain everything.
    The file is in the documents directory (who'd of thought) and name'd
    gt701-wg user manual v2.0.pdf

    I'm sure the router has a doc file as well.

    Pennywise, May 26, 2005
  9. M. K.

    TOTO Guest

    yo sa farteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

    TOTO, May 26, 2005
  10. M. K.

    Duane ;-\) Guest

    Why would you go buy another wireless router when the Actiontec GT701-WG DSL
    Modem with Wirless Gateway is a router?

    That above is what Actiontec already provides as a wire/wireless NAT router.

    It seems to me that you don't need the D-link router and you should have
    gotten what's in the link and plugged either one into the 1 port the
    Actiontec router has to extend the network and plug in other machines into
    them still using the Actiontec router as the gateway device.

    http://www.homenethelp.com/web/explain/about-hubs-and-switches.asp

    How many computes do you have? How many are wireless and not wireless?

    Or you could turn that D-link router into a wire/wireless Access Point
    switch as the router has a built in switch.

    The principle of connecting the two routers are the same no matter what
    brand of if they are wire or wireless.

    http://tinyurl.com/5sjf3

    Duane :)

    Duane ;-\), May 26, 2005