    Oh but wait. There's a little glitch in this. Exactly who were his
    customers? The first gas powered tractor didn't roll until 1892.
    And Charles Duryea didn't get a patent for his automobile until 1895.

    richard, Feb 9, 2010

  2. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    Ah, the good old days! I can remember when hardware shops had a large
    tank of paraffin [kerosene] 'in the yard' with a tap [faucet] for
    delivering fuel into the customer's own container. A few filling stations
    had a pump on the forecourt to deliver paraffin in the same way as the
    petrol [gasolene] and diesel. (Some had special pumps for 2-stroke
    'petroil' mixture too, or a seperate oil dispenser).

    In large towns there were even door-to-door deliveries of paraffin, using
    vans or pick-ups with a tank on the back (my parents can remember when
    horse-drawn carts were used for this). These deliveries survived well
    into the television age - I can still (almost) remember the jingles for
    'Esso Blue' and 'Aladdin Pink', the two big national brands.

    Many people relied on paraffin for room heating; it was quite effective,
    and cheaper than gas or electricity, and somewhat cleaner and easier than
    coal or coke or wood. In fact, I still have a portable paraffin heater of
    1970s vintage, although I haven't used it for years.

    Petrol wasn't a common fuel other than for cars and 'pocket lighters' in
    the UK, in my memory, but I believe it was often used 'on the continent'
    for lamps and cooking-stoves. Some outdoorsy types still use it in
    'back-packing stoves'. Its flammability and smell put many people off
    using it for such things.

    It was the wide availability of petrol as a cheap by-product (almost a
    waste product) of oil refining that encouraged early motor-car makers to
    use it.

    Whiskers, Feb 9, 2010

  3. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    Boom, boom, boom, boom- Esso Blue!

    :)

    Aardvark, Feb 9, 2010
  4. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    How anyone can mis-hear that to think it's 'dum, dum, dum, dum' is beyond
    me.

    Aardvark, Feb 9, 2010
  5. richard

    joevan Guest

    and

    joevan, Feb 9, 2010
  6. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    You mean propane and/or kerosene? neither of which have anything to do with
    gasoline. The former was only used long after gasoline was common and the
    later is still used but was way before gasoline.

    Gasoline was used for molotov cocktails and to kill lice well before it
    was used as engine fuel. Kerosene doesn't work as well as gasoline in internal
    combusion engines because it's less volatile. Propane has the disadvantage of
    giving off a rotten egg smell added to help control leaks.

    chuckcar, Feb 9, 2010
  7. richard

    Whiskers Guest

    Ah, yes, they don't make 'em like that any more!

    Whiskers, Feb 9, 2010