    For example, I can log into my Zen member account from anywhere, and can
    see my line data including the BRAS profile. Can a Plusnet customer
    find out his BRAS profile using a similar mechanism?

    Graham J, Dec 20, 2014

  2. Graham J

    Mark Guest

    If you log into the member centre and look at:
    https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

    The "current line speed" gives you your sync speed. You should be
    able to work out the BRAS profile from this.

    On 21CN the IP profile will always be 88.2% of the sync rate

    Mark, Dec 21, 2014

  3. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Er ... No.

    I accept that the theroetical figure is usually 88.2% of the sync rate.

    However, if there has been intermittent noise on the line the BRAS
    profile can be very low - sometimes less than 1% of the sync rate. This
    is why it is important to be able to find out what it actually is.

    I am about to recommend Plusnet to a neighbour whose line suffers
    exactly this intermittent noise problem, and want to know whether I will
    be able to see the profile figure from another line.

    In fact I have two neighbours who see this intermittent noise problem:
    the router shows reasonable parameters (sync 2Mbits/sec, SNR margin 6dB,
    loop loss 63dB) but the throughput is about 3 kbits/sec. These
    neighbours are both with LineOne or Tiscali (now TalkTalk, I think) and
    in both cases after they've spent 2 hours on the phone to the Indian
    call centre and asked for a migration code the profile is reset and they
    get sensible download speeds for a week or two; then it all goes wrong
    again.

    So I want to recommend a more competent supplier with the potential for
    bundled calls, and Plusnet is one possibility. But I want to be able to
    see what is going on, also ...

    Graham J, Dec 21, 2014
  4. Graham J

    Mark Guest

    Sounds more like 20CN where there is a delay between the sync rate
    recovering and the IP profile rising.

    To quote the PN web site:
    "21CN products: the IP Profile is calculated each time your line
    syncs"

    Mark, Dec 21, 2014
  5. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    Very likely. In my experience of poor ADSL connections in rural
    locations once the BRAS profile drops, it never recovers by itself; it's
    always necessary to ring the ISP who in turn request a reset from BT.
    Easy with Zen or the like, and it often resets within minutes, but
    others like BT and TalkTalk only respond after I've asked for a
    migration code.

    Graham J, Dec 21, 2014
  6. The only thing you can see from logging into your account is the
    information here that's been alluded to by others -
    http://users.plus.net/QL:9C987FEE

    Contrary to wht it says on that page, the 'current line speed' is the
    profiling we apply at our side and is designed to align with the BT BRAS
    profile (I think it rounds down to the nearest 100kbps or so).

    Whilst the intention is for the two profiles to be aligned, it can take
    a while for ours to update after a change at BT's side so I don't think
    it's going to fit your requirement.

    An alternative would be to run a speedtest over at -
    http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

    After it's complete, select the 'further diagnostics' option and enter
    the phone number of the circuit you're wanting to check. The 'IP
    Profile' that returns will provide the information you're after. I think
    there's a limit on the number of times you can run this test in a given
    period mind you.

    Plusnet Support Team, Dec 22, 2014
  7. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    I tried http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ - as you explained it tests my
    own line, then allows me to test somebody else's line. Do you know of
    any test that will bypass the first test and ONLY run the test on the
    third party's line?

    Thanks.

    Graham J, Dec 22, 2014
  8. Not off the top of my head Graham.

    Plusnet Support Team, Dec 22, 2014
  9. Graham J

    Roger Mills Guest

    Hmm, gives interesting results when you do that! They are a mixture of
    the figures for the two lines. I ran it from home, where I'm on FTTC at
    about 50Mbps but put in the phone number of my holiday flat, which has
    basic ADSL at about 7Mbps, and this is what it said:

    "Download speed achieved during the test was - 48.91 Mbps
    For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.6 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
    Additional Information:
    Your DSL Connection Rate :7.62 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP Profile for your line is - 6.5 Mbps"

    It obviously needs care to interpret it correctly!
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Dec 22, 2014
  10. Graham J

    Hamster Guest

    This used to work for me OK after I got Plusnet FTTC but ever since my
    telephone was transferred to Plusnet shortly after, I simply get 'there
    has been an error, please re-run the test' now so has the telephone
    transfer to Plusnet somehow stopped my phone number I need to enter for
    the 'further diagnostics' being recognised? Another poster [somewhere]
    suggested that I would need the Plusnet Service ID to be entered rather
    than my telephone number for a non-BT telephone?

    Rod

    Hamster, Dec 24, 2014
  11. Graham J

    Roger Mills Guest

    I've got two lines,in two different properties, both of which have been
    transferred to PlusNet - and the diagnostic works ok on both of those.
    --
    Cheers,
    Roger

    Roger Mills, Dec 24, 2014
  12. There's a simple way to avoid this stupid business where he BRAS sticks
    at silly low values - don't use services based on the old BT "20CN"
    system. Stick to BT 21CN or LLU. No more idiotic BRAS behaviour.

    Brian Gregory, Dec 25, 2014
  13. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]
    Sadly, 21CN is still not available to some customers, either because the
    local exchange has not been upgraded, or their line lenght is too long.

    Graham J, Dec 25, 2014
  14. It's your Wholesale circuit ID (commonly referred to as a BBEU number)
    that I think you might need.

    It can be provided by our helpdesk on request.

    Plusnet Support Team, Dec 29, 2014
  15. Graham J

    Martin Brown Guest

    This only happens if there have been a huge number of sync loss
    dusconnects and the BRAS has entered the spiral of death. It should
    recover over a period of time but sometimes gets stuck for reasons no
    one has ever clearly explained to me (beyond that if it happens you ask
    your ISP for a reset and all is well for a good while).
    Something odd there. It generally recovers from minor degradation over a
    period of multiples of three days or for a massive change when they hit
    the reset profile button.
    And how exactly do you propose to do that on rural exchanges where BT's
    attitude is that you are lucky to get any kind of ADSL at all?

    Martin Brown, Dec 29, 2014
  16. Graham J

    Graham J Guest

    [snip]

    I have two neighbours both with TalkTalk accounts. In both cases I have
    seen this symptom: the user can ping websites (such as www.bbc.co.uk)
    with reasonable delays in the 30 to 50 mSec range.
    Ping <ip> -t suffers the occasional failure - nothing unexpected - but
    most websites simply fail to display. Specifically speed test sites fail.

    Myself (and other users in the village that I've asked) who do not use
    TalkTalk have never seen this problem.

    I have a very simple website written specifically to test very slow
    download speeds - it has a few words of text and a picture - it displays
    the words and over many minutes shows a few raster lines of the picture.
    It calculates the download speed and for these neighbours it indicates
    speeds around 1 kbit/sec.

    The routers at these neighbours' properties indicate reasonable
    parameters - about 2mbits/sec download, 6dB SNR margin, 63 dB loop
    attenuation; and a trivially small CRC error count, rising at about one
    count per minute. The connection is generally shown to have been up for
    many hours - sometimes days. Different routers have been tried,
    including replacements sent out by TalkTalk - but have not shown any
    improvement.

    So there's no evidence of multiple disconnections or large amounts of
    intermittent noise.

    The user then rings TalkTalk and after spending a couple of hours on the
    phone the service is "magically" restored to something sensible - but no
    explanation is given. It then works for a week or two before failing again.

    SamKnows indicates that LLU is not available.

    Graham J, Dec 29, 2014
  17. I've seen that fixed by dropping MTU to <1500bytes. 512 is handy.

    Bad router upstream not handling packet fragmentation reassembly.

    The Natural Philosopher, Dec 29, 2014