  1. wongcna

    Neil Guest

    you sure that wasn't NYC? wait...no (natural) mountains in NYC...

    Neil, Sep 20, 2004

  2. wongcna

    Neil Guest

    and still you know nothing?

    Neil, Sep 20, 2004

  3. rowdy is not CCIE. I never lied that I was.

    never said you did, I seem to 'confused' about people!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  4. I'm sure transcender would disagree...
    Well, there are many companies out there that money out of IT
    'certification' (nothing wrong with that in principle), otherwise why
    are there so many..
    The point of my remark is that just because a strategy does not
    directly produce a profit, does not mean there will not an overall
    return for the effort (i.e. benefits which are realized later on). Any
    company who pursues a strategy whereby such a strategy results in no
    positive return is crazy - it's only 'acceptable' for government to
    pursue such policy (and waste money) :).

    So my conclusion here must be that ms (and other vendors), must see a
    benefit in pursuing the policy of offering certification, after all ms
    have been offering certification for more than ten years now!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  5. If you feel it's OK to have unqualified people in the profession,
    agreed.

    BTW, I can't believe such companies exist, but I've seen people up
    real close who prove they do, and I still don't believe it!
    again, agreed. However my view has always been that any certification
    whether it applies to products, domestic appliances, people, diamonds,
    gucci watches etc etc, has to have integrity and meaning, otherwise it
    serves no purpose as there is no trust in the certification. And yes,
    this is hard to achieve, but by no means impossible.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  6. circa Tue, 21 Sep 2004 05:44:14 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    And *AGAIN*, it's not the same thing. At all. Am I typing in
    Esperanto here?
    Gawd, I'm tired of repeating myself. They've crunched the numbers far
    more than you have, and they know what is economically productive and
    what isn't.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  7. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 06:33:30 -0500, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, nerd32768 (nerd{nospam}32768
    @gmail.com) said,
    Then you have a lot to learn. You're in high school, right? 'Cause it
    shows.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  8. And again, I'll point out to you that the company for which I work is
    And it is companies such as mine who reply on such companies to
    provides services for the business, enabling business to function and
    complete today. However, It is business that 'should' drive the need
    for IT, not the other way around.

    Never said you or your company consider IT 'a game', I'm sorry if
    though I did. Nevertheless there are many companies that do,
    especially those whose core business is NOT IT related; I'm sure
    you've come across them. These companies (and the people within) need
    to be educated, difficult to achieved for sure, on how IT can truly be
    used to enhance their business prospects. BTW, I'm all for the
    mandatory application of mature standards (say along the lines of
    iso15504 or ieee 1220 ) for any company who provides IT related
    services (whether in-house or bespoke). At least this would include
    same kind of accreditation process, whereas at present so much is
    completely unregulated. And yes, the short term costs would be nothing
    short of astronomically, but the long term gains would be rewarding.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  9. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 04:57:46 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    <ding ding ding> Exactly.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  10. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:19:23 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Jtyc ([email protected]!)
    said,
    My scariest was the one-armed cabbie who was smoking while weaving
    through six lanes of traffic. Note the one arm part. And the
    smoking...

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  11. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 12:35:30 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    Only silicone ones.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  12. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:49:49 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rowdy Yates (rowdy_yates2
    @remove.lycos.com) said,
    Okay, what do you want?

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  13. circa Mon, 20 Sep 2004 08:59:27 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Rowdy Yates (rowdy_yates2
    @remove.lycos.com) said,
    Ah, the good old days...

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 21, 2004
  14. And you know what? Making the exams harder only buys a modicum of
    So what's the point certs? On current evidence there is none.
    or a life times experience - the best!
    However, when I did my degree I never 'studied' for dot net, j2ee or
    any other vendor tools, systems etc. The studies did however give me
    an excellent grounding in understanding the purpose of IT and how IT
    'should' be applied, nothing's changed there.

    The need for certification only comes into equation because of the
    rapid changes within the environment we work in. As such grunts like
    me should have to prove we are capable of functioning within such a
    [vendor driven] environment. Incidently, my grandpa commanded a
    sherman tank in ww2; if he were still alive today, I'm sure as hell he
    could not operate an M1A2 :)

    Anyway, because of the reasons I've already stated, ms certifications
    currently cannot even be seen (from where I sit) as 'bonus material'.
    I do believe the process can and should be improved to be more than
    just 'bonus material', so do others. There are also people who feel
    as you do, either way it is out of our hands, but still worthy of
    [meaningful] discussion.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  15. and work on you English homework...all math and science makes nerd a dull
    never did me any harm not doing english :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  16. I'm only getting jobs because of my certification, and word
    Well I'll take your word at that, but I feel there's more to you than
    that. Anyway, any company that employs just anybody for there certs is
    either crazy or an ms partner looking to get there numbers up!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  17. bit slow are't they!
    www.itsalledsarcasm.com :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  18. The best cab ride I ever took was in Australia.

    ditto

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  19. old people......
    ..... when I was a lad.....

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004
  20. I never said ALL the vendor/organizational exams were in a format
    There are also more lawyers than neuro surgeons.....

    There are so many more mcp's because microsoft are the biggest company
    on the planet, more companies use their products.

    Anyway more does not always equal the best, although the red army in
    ww2 somewhat disprove my theory here!
    Which comes back to my point on marketing!

    .... Still not enough evangelists though.
    Well there are far too many 'clueless' ones, but yes from a marketing
    point of view it makes no difference. Even if only one in two were a
    good eggs, the benefit can be seen.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 21, 2004