    I also know of a tester who came into the test centre (late 90s) I was at
    and BRAGGED that he had an MCSE, CNE and had just passed his CCNA exam and
    had never touched a router...

    Neil, Sep 18, 2004

  2. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:32:57 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    Ah, well, you know what all has to go into the exam, right? You have
    the facilities to survey field professionals to determine objective
    domains? To hire question-writers? To produce a pool of at least 250
    questions to start (well, technically, 250 questions *after* alpha
    and beta cuts)? To have each and every question vetted several times,
    then beta tested, then possibly eliminated?

    If you think you can do it for a quarter mil, I'm sure Microsoft
    would be thrilled to pay you to do so.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 18, 2004

  3. wongcna

    Lost Guest

    I am sorry to hear that you managed to "pass" this "hard"
    exam. I am even more sorry to hear that you used Testking
    to do so. It just means that you are a brain dumping
    A.S.S.F.U.C.K.E.R.

    If you should ever complete your certification you will
    only ad to the current weakening of the MS certification
    process. FOAD, loser.

    Lost, Sep 18, 2004
  4. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:32:04 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Neil ()
    said,
    Trust me, they wouldn't. The last time I bathed was Thursday.
    Crutches and a cast really mess with the bathing schedule.

    Oh, and I still have a seventy-dollar cab ride between here and the
    reception. I'm not willing to compete to see whether the cab driver
    or I stink more.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 18, 2004
  5. wongcna

    Talyn Guest

    As one who teaches the CCNA curriculum for the Cisco
    Networking Academy, I think that Microsoft is doing about
    as good of a job as can be expected. I have students that
    take my course that have no business even being in public
    let alone in a tech class. Cisco has just as many problems
    as Microsoft. You just can't win.

    Certs, in my opinion, will never be a money making
    process. I am sure MS looses money just keeping up the
    process.

    I guess you can always look at brain dumpers just like
    spammers. They are a frelling problem that will never
    really go away. And one that everyone but the
    troublemakers hate.

    Talyn

    Talyn, Sep 18, 2004
  6. Scale to what, so that only professionals can take them? Well that
    would make sense to me.

    The biggest problem with these exams is that anyone can take them.
    This coupled with the good old <sic> drain dumps, <cough> practice
    tests, etc allow people who simply have no idea of the subject matter
    to become 'certified', which undermine their worth.

    In my view what is required are written exams coupled with
    lab/pratical exams. Exams where by the taker has to describe and
    explain the reason for their answers. Sure it's going to cost more,
    but for professionals it should not be an issue.
    .... and a toilet seat costs $5,000 :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  7. 4. HOW, EXACTLY, do you propose that Microsoft gets half a million
    stop the idiots taking the exams. How you do this would partly be
    achieved by changing the format. If the exam included a written part
    and a practical part (say like the Sun Java enterprise architect ), it
    would put many of those people off. Another way is ensure the people
    taking the tests do indeed how the educational and real world
    experience required, as is the requirement for the csdp qualification.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  8. With all due respect... If ANYONE could afford it...
    Absolutely. People need to remember IT not a kid's game.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  9. Then you need to propose how to do that in a manner that is even
    Sun, Oracle, IBM, British Computer Society, IEEE etc,etc all offer a
    examination process which is far superior than Microsoft's.

    As far as the increase in costs go, so what? If business can see the
    worth of having truly 'certified' people on board, then paying a few
    thousand bucks per person is nothing (which would be written off
    against tax anyway); the same goes for freelance's.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  10. I also know of a tester who came into the test centre (late 90s) I was at
    So for him CCIE was out of the question :)

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  11. I am sure MS looses money just keeping up the
    Marketing, it's good marketing to say you have two million 'certified
    professionals'.

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  12. I
    That's the problem....
    agreed.

    Sod the cost Laura!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  13. Oh, and I still have a seventy-dollar cab ride between here and the
    lol!

    Kline Sphere (Chalk) MCNGP #3

    The Poster Formerly Known as Kline Sphere, Sep 18, 2004
  14. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 14:07:26 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Talyn () said,
    Finally, sanity! ;-)

    Laura
    <finally got hot water and waiting for my cab so I can go be a
    drunken cripple>

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004
  15. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:33:50 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    It's not THAT good.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004
  16. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:36:00 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    Are you willing to pay a grand per test?

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004
  17. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:29:01 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    No, they don't. I hold some of those certifications, and the
    difference is, THEY DON'T SCALE. Period.
    Easy to say when it's not your money.
    Um, no, it wouldn't.

    You really need to do some research before making these statements.
    If you'd like, I can put you in touch with the people who can break
    down for you just how much the certification program costs.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004
  18. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:21:15 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    You SO don't get it. Either that, or you will never be a CFO, 'cause
    you'd drive a business right into the ground with your "ideas".

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004
  19. wongcna

    Neil Guest

    so then it's more than just scribbling down 55 questions? well then, never
    mind...

    Neil, Sep 19, 2004
  20. circa Sat, 18 Sep 2004 23:10:20 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, The Poster Formerly Known as Kline
    Guess what. You don't own the certification program; Microsoft does.
    Before you go dictating how they should do it, you should do your
    homework, because it's clear you haven't.

    Laura

    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 19, 2004