Bought Canon 350D & no longer satisfied with NON-SLR!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mobius, Apr 8, 2006.

  1. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    Just as I expected & anyone should have guessed. I went ahead & bought a
    Canon RebelXT (EOS-350D) & now am no longer satisfied with a non-SLR style
    camera (will accept it, but prefer SLR).

    The features of this are great. I have no problems holding it & do like its
    smaller size (not so small to be a problem, but not so big I cant hold it
    firmly...my girlfriend & I went to a local dealer & looked at their display
    model so I could show her what I was about to buy).

    I've used it last weekend (outdoor is most often what I do, but I did a few
    indoor too) & I like it VERY much.

    ISO1600 wasn't a big deal for me with the noise (hardly noticed in the few
    test shots I did with only computer monitor light from a 14" screen).

    I'd got some filters off of NewEgg too, one for helping to reduce risk of
    glair off of glass from light (great since she has glasses, so perfect test
    subject for learning the limitations & best way to do this), also one it
    came with was a polarizor for enhancing colors a little & YES it appears to
    VERY decently compared to my Olympus C3040Zoom (old 3MP camera).

    The telephoto lense is still decent at 300mm zoom, just use a fast enough
    shutter speed & you're generally OK. I mainly needed it for getting up
    close, not as much close & high detail. We went to a park & tested that (I
    chased a squirl around, but it made my pictures look like I'm a squirl perv,
    almost only but-shots & shots with nuts in it's mouth ;) ).

    Still working on experimenting with macro, but doing good so far (am
    somewhat used to it with my older camera).

    I've learned about "when auto-zoom fails" issues (its not perfect, cant
    expect it to be, doesn't happen often but like the night shot I couldn't
    expect the auto-zoom to bounce the laser off of the 240,000 mile away moon
    which BTW I can see the crators on it now!!!!!!).

    Still learning issues (user errors) but then I've only used it a few days
    (few hundred pictures, dozens of scenes/shots). I think I'm most of all
    enjoying the continous shooting (snap a few frames in a row & get the best
    when something is in motion & you may want a few views of it at different
    points in motion).

    Anyone else who changed to a SLR feel the same way of not being satisfied
    with regular any more?

    And the picture quality is GREAT! I really like the way it focuses & blurs
    the background/forground too.

    Zooming is MUCH easier to handle as well.

    Still having to work on the multi-point focus part though.

    Mobius, Apr 8, 2006

  2. Mobius

    Kinon O'cann Guest

    And this explains the death of the high-end "ZLR."

    No wonder Fuji can't give away those S9000s...

    Kinon O'cann, Apr 8, 2006

  3. Mobius

    Mobius Guest

    Yeah, I get the near same resolution, better lense, removable lenses, more
    features, a "for everybody" camera (people who aren't experienced, such as
    my girlfriend, have their "preset options", while more experienced have
    their customizable & regular options, so all can enjoy this camera), & I get
    same zoom, but with stability a little better.

    Mobius, Apr 9, 2006
  4. Mobius

    eugene Guest

    I bought the 300D two years ago and I love it. However, last summer I bought
    a Panasonic Lumix FZ5 and it is an absolutely wonderful camera. I often get
    far better shots with it than I get from the Canon and as it slips into my
    pocket, it is never out of my sight. I take it with me evry time I go out in
    the car, just in case! Here's an example from a fortnight ago

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72057594092014817/show/

    eugene, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Mobius

    Paul J Gans Guest

    I've got a 300D and carry a Canon SD450 with me everywhere.

    But I still love the 300D. I find that I have much more
    control with it.

    ---- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Mobius

    Dan Birchall Guest

    When my 350D was in the shop recently (something needed to be resoldered;
    it was under warranty) I had to make do with my older PowerShot-series
    cameras, and I couldn't agree more... once you get used to "instant-on"
    and no shutter lag, it's awful hard to go back! :)

    Dan Birchall, Apr 23, 2006
  7. Mobius

    Jeremy S Guest

    I just purchased the 350d and 17-85mm IS lens in a kit from B & H,
    along with several Sandisk Ultra cards a few weeks ago. I didn't get a
    chance to put it to the test until yesterday at the annual Thunder Over
    Louisville airshow/fireworks show. Needless to say, of close to 800
    photos, almost all of them turned out quite well. I just wish I had a
    lens with a better zoom, to get closer photos of the planes.

    Jeremy

    Jeremy S, Apr 24, 2006