    T.N.O. Guest

    I know that the *correct* way to reply to nntp posts is bottom posting(heh
    sounds painfull), but what is the standard for email?

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003

  2. T.N.O.

    KS Guest

    Who says it's correct ? Who says what is correct for email ? It's individual
    taste. But rules to go by ? Bah.

    On the scale of things that are important in life's existence, is it really
    that important ?

    KS, Sep 10, 2003

  3. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    RFCs say it is correct to bottom post in usenet, I believe.
    no, but it is nice to be correct.

    T.N.O., Sep 10, 2003
  4. T.N.O.

    Rider Guest

    And I just top posted in usenet by mistake LOL

    Rider, Sep 11, 2003
  5. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    thanks, although it was interesting reading, it was as useless as asking
    Paul for some money...

    got any other RFC's for me to read today teacher? :)

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003
  6. T.N.O.

    m00se Guest

    LOL no, that was simply googles first answer :p

    m00se, Sep 11, 2003
  7. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    T.N.O. allegedly said:
    Depends.

    News postings are about discussion.

    Work e-mail is more often an audit trail of a stream of comunication.

    They server different purposes. For this reason:

    I bottom-post in newsgroups...to enable easy understanding of the points
    being made.

    I top-post in e-mail to add my comments - in their entirety - to those which
    have gone before.

    steve, Sep 11, 2003
  8. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    steve allegedly said:
    ....unless the e-mail requires a detailed response more in line with a
    discussion.....in which case I bottom post.

    steve, Sep 11, 2003
  9. ... don't you mean "interleaf post" ? ... only sane way to deal with detail by
    detail comment :)

    Bruce

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2003
  10. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Since emails are one on one, and when you reply to something that you've
    obviously read first. Then you and the other party already know what the
    original message said. That's why I think it's better to top post for one
    to one emails.

    Because people don't always know what people are replying to the newsgroups,
    that's why it's better to bottom post for people to follow what's going on
    instead of having to dart all over the place in a post that could well have
    over 6 replies in it. Which is a lot better if all 6 replies are one under
    each other instead of all over the place when someone adds a top post to a
    thread.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2003
  11. T.N.O.

    Gordon Guest

    Then why do you not bottom post?

    See why bottom posting is a good idea? Time, come here you have some
    giving to do. :)

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2003
  12. T.N.O.

    Gordon Guest

    Why bother. Delete the whole orginal message and start afresh.

    The point of quoting is to remind the person/reader what they said, ie
    what the subject is.

    Gordon, Sep 11, 2003
  13. T.N.O.

    E. Scrooge Guest

    huh?
    Is there only the 2 of us in this group?

    Leaving some message intact helps the poor sod that has a look in a few days
    time.
    I don't bother reading every damn post, that nonsense is best left to the
    geeks that have nothing better to do.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 11, 2003
  14. T.N.O.

    Rob King Guest

    His hierarchy of needs must be well and truly full :)

    Rob King, Sep 11, 2003
  15. T.N.O.

    bambam Guest

    Slight change, but Ive pinched it anyway. :)

    bambam, Sep 11, 2003
  16. T.N.O.

    steve Guest

    Gordon allegedly said:
    I do in personal e-mail.

    In work e-mail I top-post becasue work communication is more like an
    archeological dig - you go down through the stack to go back in time.
    I think it should be called 'relevance posting' because all we are doing is
    posting with our additions placed immediately after the relevant comment
    from the prior post. :)

    Therefore top-posting is irrelevant posting. :)

    steve, Sep 11, 2003

  17. A: Because people read from top to bottom

    Q: Why is top posting bad?

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 11, 2003
  18. T.N.O.

    T.N.O. Guest

    I had to read that three times before I got it in the correct order...
    weird.

    T.N.O., Sep 11, 2003
  19. T.N.O.

    Hypnos Guest