bootscreen flickers and XP won't start in normal mode.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Hulk2484, May 12, 2004.

  1. Hulk2484

    Hulk2484 Guest

    BACKGROUND:
    My computer was working fine today, but all of a sudden, the mouse
    started getting vertical purple lines around it. My Computer
    responding and the monitor stopped getting a signal from the computer
    even though the hardrive was going crazy. I unplugged the monitor
    from the KVM switch and plugged it directly into my computer, nothing.
    I restarted the computer and when windows started to load, I had
    purple vertical lines every inch the entire width of my screen. When
    the login screen came up, it said the Windows had recovered from a
    serious error, and that I needed to save my work and restart the
    computer. I restarted it and when windows came back up I started it
    in safe mode. It still had lines all over the screen and the colors
    were messed up, but it started and I couldn't tell what was wrong. I
    thought it might be an XP(professional) problem because it has been
    giving me some hassle, but then I started the computer up in FreeBSD
    which is on a different partition, and parts of the screen just
    flickered all the time.

    SYMPTOMS:
    - It won't start in regular XP mode, but it will in safe but the
    screen is full of vertical purple lines and the colors are off.
    - FreeBSD (non-GUI) works fine, but parts of the screen flicker
    constantly.
    - The boot screen also flickers so I'm assuming it's a hardware
    problem.

    QUESTION:
    What is wrong with my computer? Is it a problem with the video
    card, or with the motherboard?

    Hulk2484, May 12, 2004

  2. Hulk2484

    ICee Guest

    It's probably the video card, but the only way to be certain is to try
    another one.

    ICee, May 12, 2004

  3. Hulk2484

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Video card.

    pcbutts1, May 12, 2004
  4. Hulk2484

    Jerry G. Guest

    I would try another video card, and then work from there.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com