Booting off external USB drive?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jul 7, 2007.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Are there any problems or issues regarding speed/access times compared
    with traditional ATA or SATA drives when you run XP off an external
    USB2 hard drive? Or would you say it makes little or no difference?

    I'd also appreciate any recommendations on back up software as well. I
    had been looking at the Western Digital external My Book drives,
    however looking at a lot of the reviews, the drives are great but the
    backup software they come with are full of bugs. So I was thinking of
    just going with the cheaper oem elements drive from Western Digital
    instead and maybe purchasing something like Norton Save & Restore.
    Unless anyone can suggest any different software to that for backups?

    I was planning on running windows off the external usb2 WD elements
    drive and then getting another external drive to backup data to.
    Either getting another elements oem drive and some software for the
    backups, or maybe instead getting a Maxtor One Touch drive as the
    drive the backups are done to? So I'd also love to hear anyones
    opinion on the Maxtor One Touch drives for backups and whether they
    really are One Touch wonders and also if you can schedule these drives
    for backups?

    Cheers

    John

    John, Jul 7, 2007