    feeling that disk management won't let me format the partition either.

    How do I remove system status from this partition?

    Thanks.

    ian field, Sep 13, 2010

  2. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    Use a 3rd party partition manager/disk management tool. Google it.

    Meat Plow, Sep 13, 2010

  3. ian field

    philo Guest

    You cannot re-assign the drive letters of either a boot volume or a
    system partition unless you re-install Windows.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314470

    philo, Sep 13, 2010
  4. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    Why don't you just label the drives? You simply can't just change the drive
    letters anymore than you can change which plug a ps/2 keyboard uses.

    Any attempt to change the letter of a drive will completely screw up any
    software you've install which uses such drives at all.

    chuckcar, Sep 14, 2010
  5. ian field

    rf Guest

    And which software might that be?

    rf, Sep 14, 2010
  6. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Xnews 8)

    ian field, Sep 14, 2010
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Partition wizard allowed me to delete the errant system partition, but not
    surprisingly that rendered the boot partition un-bootable - much time was
    wasted trying to get partition wizard to repair it.

    Windows install announced that windows was damaged and offered to repair it,
    I accepted and it doesn't seem to have done too much damage.

    So now I'm waiting for the unpartitioned drive to format so it can be
    assigned to a consecutive drive letter after the boot partition.

    ian field, Sep 14, 2010
  8. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    Only the start menu entry in that case. But *any* program you actually
    install could easily be affected. This isn't nonsence, despite what some
    kiddie troll here implies. You've been shown proof of that - from
    Microsoft FCS.

    chuckcar, Sep 15, 2010
  9. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    FIXBOOT / FIXMBR from the recovery console. Shouldn't need to waste much
    time.

    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2010
  10. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Tried those - evidently some system files or whatever were on the system
    partition, and recovery console didn't feel inclined to place them on the
    boot partition.

    ian field, Sep 15, 2010
  11. ian field

    ian field Guest

    Its a good excuse to check for Xnews latest version and start over.

    There's some apps for searching/downloading who's destination folders no
    longer exist - I can go into the config menu as and when I use them again.

    ian field, Sep 15, 2010
  12. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    "Some files or whatever" isn't the best description I can think of.

    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2010
  13. ian field

    chuckcar Guest

    There *is* no later version. It's not commercial software. It's written
    *by* Liu Tran for himself.
    You mean *which* folders? possible, but there are as many ways to do
    that as there is to write a given non-trivial program, so I'd have
    extreme doubts as to their usefullness. Just label the drives if you
    absolutely *have* to give them a name. The fact of the matter is it's
    being anally retentive to a dangerous fault as you've found out.

    chuckcar, Sep 15, 2010
  14. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 15, 2010
  15. ian field

    ian field Guest

    I'd cleaned out the partition ready to format it - there was nothing visible
    to view.

    But obviously something was there to make it a system volume and deny access
    to change the drive letter, remove partition or reformat.

    ian field, Sep 15, 2010
  16. ian field

    ian field Guest

    WTF?!

    ian field, Sep 15, 2010
  17. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    Need a bootable utility CD that has gparted.

    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

    It won't care how the partitions are flagged. I've used it to resize.
    delete and create partitions for use with Windows file systems.

    Meat Plow, Sep 15, 2010
  18. ian field

    ian field Guest

    There's another HDD that I need to salvage - would that CD be any help?

    The HDD in question was in a DVB-T recorder that was left on and rarely
    used, it appears the heads may have damaged the surface near the start of
    the disk.

    For some reason XP seems to create about 8Mb of unallocated space before the
    active partition - spinrite seems OK with the small leader partition created
    by Fedora but hits a solid band of duff sectors right at the start of the
    main part', any format utility that starts right at the start, and as long
    as I can reliably mark out the damaged bits the drive might do for data
    storage.

    ian field, Sep 16, 2010
  19. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    You can create partitions in any area of the disk with GParted but you'll
    never know if it can bypass your bad sectors until you try it.

    Meat Plow, Sep 16, 2010
  20. ian field

    ian field Guest

    The HDD in question has never had NTFS or Linux format, only that
    implemented by the DVB-T recorder - which spinrite reported as partition
    type: "undefined" - is it possible spinrite mucked it up?

    When I tried to install XP it gave up at trying to create a partition,
    fedora installed its file system then froze before completing disk 1.

    I left it running spinrite, its only completed 0.33% of the main partition
    since last night, the small leading partition scanned quickly except slowing
    down in a few places.

    ian field, Sep 16, 2010