    But that seems to come out as a 512 meg stick!!

    But anyway I will get the one off ebay as I won't be able to get the exact
    same part number I don't think.

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012

  2. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    get that one.
    Seems it is D43 not 043!!

    HY5DU12822CTP-D43

    Anyway I wil just buy one of those listed or I will be here forever!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012

  3. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    all the codes are decoded here.

    http://www.skhynix.com/products/support/partnumberdecoder.jsp

    I find that stuff a bit confusing at the moment, but I guess I won't be able
    to find the
    exact same part number for sale?

    but I am not too sure I see a lot with HYMD512646DP8J-D43

    MIne is HY5DU12822CTP-D43 not the organisation code 8 mean x8 and 6 means
    x16
    does that matter? Mind you my number is on the chip not the module.

    Then on mine it is followed by a 2 for 2 banks but the above one is 4 for 4
    banks, I
    am not sure what it means by banks, are we talking about the chip or the
    module?

    Confusing to me. As I say I am looking at the numbers on the chips and I
    think the
    numbers on ebay are from a sticker on the chip, there is no sticker on my
    module.

    I will see what you have to say before proceeding!! It's doing my head
    in!!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  4. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    I also found an old post to add to the confusion, suggesting my existing 1
    gig module
    is high density, would that make sense and does it tie in with the part
    number?

    old post follows.

    ------------------------------

    Bit of a long story so I will try to summarise.
    PC came with 256m ram. DDR400 PC3200
    I bought and exta gig and added into next slot to make 1.25 gig
    All running well for many years.
    Then upgraded to a X2 AMD 3800 processor.
    I think I had reboot with that processor, anyway a month later
    I got another gig of DDR400 PC3200

    I had problems adding that, beeps etc.
    However eventually I got running with the two 1 gig stick in the first two
    (of 4) slots.
    However I was getting reboots, about 1 every 4 hours on average (variable)

    So I went to just the new 1 gig stick i slot 1.
    That gave a reboot after 1.5 hours

    So I tried just the old 1 gig stick in slot one - results -beeps!!!
    I shifted it to slot 2 on a 'hunch' and it booted up correctly.

    It has not rebbooted on that yet but I have only been running a couple of
    hours
    so not long enough to be conclusive.

    Something I have noticed is that the first 1 gig stick I got appears to be
    high
    density, looking with the Everst utility (below) the module name 128M64K-40C
    suggests it is arranged as high density.

    However having said that it had been running fine along side what is a 256m
    low
    density module as a (rather badly) 'matched pair'

    This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.

    Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name 128M64K-40C
    Serial Number 040413C3h
    Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

    Memory Timings:
    @ 200 MHz 3.0-3-3-8 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 166 MHz 2.5-3-3-7 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
    @ 133 MHz 2.0-2-2-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)

    Memory Module Features:
    Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
    Auto-Precharge Not Supported
    Precharge All Not Supported
    Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
    Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
    On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
    Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
    Differential Clock Input Supported
    Redundant Row Address Not Supported

    ------------ end of old post - enough confusion for today!!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  5. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    But this is sufficient for a gamble. 1GB. Low density. It's "Integral" brand,
    same as the pcworld offering.

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-GB-DDR-...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item3a789d6875

    I wouldn't over-brain this. What you're trying to match, is rows/columns/banks/ranks.
    And a 16 chip 1GB low density DIMM is what you already own, so you're looking
    for another.

    It doesn't have to be visually identical. It's highly unlikely that the same
    die revision of chips is being used on the modules of today. The die revision
    changes as they make improvements to the chips or process. So you really
    can't get an identical DIMM, even if you tried.

    There are some other memory types, where there would be more uncertainty. For
    example, one Kingston SKU, they fill with two different possible DIMMs,
    one which works for people and one which doesn't. That requires more
    fretting.

    But in your case, if you're going to deal with Ebay, the issue is
    more "the seller lied to you" than "you picked the wrong product".
    As long as that product lives up to its description, it is very likely
    to match well enough to get the benefit from dual channel. And you
    know you're looking for an unbuffered, non-ECC DIMM, low density, so you're
    not likely to pick some server memory by accident (ECC, registered being
    typical descriptive terms).

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2012
  6. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    1024 MB (2 ranks)

    That looks like low density to me.

    And using your decoder PDF, look for the digit that selects
    organization. If the chips are "x8" width, that's low density.

    I tried decoding the number you provided in your other post,
    and were you looking at the 256MB module at the time ? Make
    sure you got a chip number off the 1GB module.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2012
  7. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    OK maybe I am thinking too much.

    Anyway there are 16 chips giving 1 gig so each chip supplies 64meg one way
    or another?
    Anyway I am not sure I have low density, it might be high but I am confused.

    I have 16 chips so each will give 4 bits. x 1024
    Or could I have 2 lots of 8 bit chips x 512

    ANd does it make a difference?

    A quote says
    "The low-density means 8bitS of the chips, the High-density means 4bits of
    the chips."

    But at the end of the day I can only buy what is there and it won't be the
    number on my chips.

    This is the Everest info for the old suspected high density stick.

    Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name 128M64K-40C
    Serial Number 040413C3h
    Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

    Not sure if that helps but I will leave it for now I am in no hurry I need
    to letthe info sink
    in so I am happy before I buy.

    I guess I might as well get this

    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYNIX-2GB...erComponents_MemoryRAM_JN&hash=item46062ad446

    Only £20 for 2 gig although no part number, but if they do not work matched
    I coud send them back.

    I don't know I am going round in circles, not as if I am short of money
    either.
    YOu can actually see the part number on that HY51264CP8J-D43

    EURIKA!!!

    If you look at the actual chips on the image if you enlarge it it
    says..........HY5D012822CTP-043
    So that seems almost identical to then numbers on my chips but the serial
    number
    on the module is HYMD512646CP8J-D43 AA-A

    So.....I think cears it all up.

    I said in a previos post "but I am not too sure I see a lot with
    HYMD512646DP8J-D43"

    So that is it sorted, but you are right I was over braining it but it all
    seems to be sorted now
    I can either get the one you posted or seveal other with the module serial
    number
    HYMD512646DP8J-D43" I saw.

    So only deciosn is whether to go for buy 1 or 2 gig,

    Can I mix single and dual chanel woudl they revert to single channel with 3
    gig?

    Thanks once again!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  8. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    Yes they are x8

    http://www.memory4less.net/hy5du12822ctp-d43.html

    1GB Hynix 1GB Module DDR PC2100 CL=2.5 non-ECC Unbuffered DDR266 2.5V 128Meg
    x 64 Mfr P/N HY5DU12822CTP-D43
    Manufacturer Name :
    Manufacturer Part # : HY5DU12822CTP-D43

    Or rather

    http://www.questcomp.com/InventoryParts.aspx?pn=HY5DU12822CTPD43

    Part Number:
    HY5DU12822CTPD43 Buy Now HY5DU12822CTPD43

    Part Description: SDRAM, DDR, 64M x 8, 66 Pin, Plastic, TSSOP

    Part Description: SDRAM, DDR, 64M x *8*, 66 Pin, Plastic, TSSOP

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  9. R. Giggs.

    Paul Guest

    The photo they took here, is actually two front views. I couldn't figure
    out why the little SPD chip wasn't present at first. And then it occurred
    to me, they'd taken a picture of the front of the pair of modules, rather
    than a front and a back view. Using the DDRMODULE.pdf document, to
    decode this, it's a DDR400 3-3-3-8 module. And the "...CP8J", the 8
    there says it's made with x8 chips.

    http://www.my-technician.co.uk/eBay/hynixgbxg-1342022024-1798.jpg

    *******

    If you put 2x1GB on one channel and 1GB on the other channel, I
    think that will run in virtual single channel mode. So will be
    a little slower.

    You can test these for yourself, and judge the impact. SuperPI
    is an older program. It runs single threaded. It computes the
    value of the math constant PI. The larger the number of digits,
    the more memory it uses. If you select 1 million digits, I think
    that takes 8 megabytes of memory. On processors with extremely
    large caches, you want to select a larger number of digits,
    so that the cache doesn't have an undue influence. The cache on
    your processor, might be in the 1 megabyte neighborhood, so
    consuming 8 megabytes of memory while the calculation is running
    should be OK.

    http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/366/Super_PI_Mod_v1.5.html

    You'd do a run with the 2x1GB installed in dual channel mode.

    Then, install the third DIMM. And retest. Taking notes also,
    in each case, what CPUZ shows for the BIOS response to the
    two different configs. (I.e. Whether the Command Rate is
    getting changed, and is different between the two configs.)

    The computation time is in seconds. You compare the number
    of seconds it took, with each config. If the results are
    pretty close, you know you're not paying much of a penalty
    by adding the third DIMM. If the results are radically different,
    you pull the third DIMM, and run with 2x1GB.

    Before using the new memory, don't forget to use the memtest86+
    for at least one pass. You can try testing the new modules,
    one module at a time. That's to remove the ambiguity, as to which
    module is bad, if there are errors. Then, install two modules
    together, and do another test. If all three test cases pass,
    you're then ready for your first boot into dual channel mode
    in Windows.

    When you add the third module (your existing RAM),
    you can try another memtest86+ run, before booting into Windows.
    Again, just to be sure everything is stable.

    If you have bad RAM, then boot Windows, there can be eventual
    corruption of the registry files. And then, you'd better pray your
    System Restore points are in good order (System Restore has
    copies of the Registry). I advocate testing the memory,
    to reduce the risk. Even with careful testing, at least
    one poster had registry corruption, and that happens when
    memtest86+ doesn't see a problem, but there is a problem
    present never the less. The memory tester isn't the best,
    which is why Prime95 (or one of the other burn-in programs),
    is better at acceptance testing. You can run Prime95 from a
    Linux LiveCD, and that's one way to avoid Windows corruption.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 17, 2012
  10. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    Thanks, I am think now of buying 3 gig which I can get for about £30
    which will not break the bank. I will have to see what is available and
    recheck the
    serial number and all that now I am pretty confident I know what they all
    mean.
    Slight risk buying on ebay because you have to ask why they are selling and
    if they
    may be fauly as happened before.
    Also might be better buying from someone who is mot a major seller as I
    think
    they are less likely so sell faulty stuff.
    I think people can cheat the feedback system somewhat, last time when I
    returned
    my module he said it never arrived he claimed compensation form the post
    office!!

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  11. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    Right I have bought this
    =================
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180945402741

    This is for a Hynix 1GB Memory Module part no. HYMD512646.

    It has been removed from a working computer and works fine.

    Hynix memory are one of the best around.

    Main SpecificationGeneral
    Storage Capacity 1 gb
    Type DRAM
    Technology DDR SDRAM
    Form Factor DIMM 184-PIN
    Memory Speed 400 MHz ( PC3200 )
    Latency Timings CL3
    Data Integrity Check Non-ECC
    RAM Features Unbuffered
    Module Configuration 128 x 64
    Supply Voltage 2.6 V
    Lead Plating GoldExpansion / ConnectivityCompatible Slots 1 x memory - DIMM
    184-PIN

    Please check that this memory is compatable with your system . you can check
    this on the internet.

    Many thanks for looking at my page.

    ===========

    This is why everesy reported for my chip before
    Memory Module Properties:
    Module Name 128M64K-40C
    Serial Number 040413C3h
    Module Size 1024 MB (2 ranks, 4 banks)
    Module Type Unbuffered
    Memory Type DDR SDRAM
    Memory Speed PC3200 (200 MHz)
    Module Width 64 bit
    Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
    Error Detection Method None
    Refresh Rate Reduced (7.8 us), Self-Refresh

    I not the only difference is the voltage, but that shoud be OK I hope!

    Anyhow it is cheap and I do not have to sign for it which is good because
    normally that means they get returned to the depot because I am not in at
    the time.
    So I should be trying that in just over a weeks time!!
    If it's OK I may get some more.

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  12. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    Ok just a further ramble on chip density/, I found this.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Myth-Low-Density-vs-High-Density-memory-modules?ugid=10000000001236178

    =========
    How to tell if your 1GB module is a low or high density module?
    a.. All low density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
    side) using 64Mx8 device.
    b.. All high density 1GB modules are made with 16 chips (8 chips on each
    side) using 128Mx4 device.
    =========

    Thre problem for me is that I see in the Everest (some hardware config prog)
    report :128M64K-40C
    and this confusingly has both 128 and 64 in the name, before I have looked
    at the 128 and thought 'high density'!!
    However I have over looked the 64 bit indicating low density, which I now
    believe it is.

    The first PDF here helped a bit showing the module number arranged as 64M X
    8

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  13. R. Giggs.

    R. Giggs. Guest

    Oh incidently I noticed later yesterdauy that my machine was running slow, I
    discovered
    one core seemed to be runnig at 100% but doing nothing, effectively putting
    me on one core!!

    A reboot cleared that, but I wonder what caused it?
    Being a bit of a cynic I remembered I have visited Crucial Memory and use
    there
    tools to access my memoey requirements etc...it's a downloaded exercutable.

    I actualy suspect that screwed my machine up!!
    Would be quite convienient for them to cripple your machine so you think you
    need
    to buy lots of memory!!

    I could be totally wrong on that but I thought I would mention it incase
    other had
    similar probs. I had that one core at 100% prob a few years ago, not sure
    what fised it
    or whether I had visited crucial memeory around that time (quite possible).

    R. Giggs., Aug 17, 2012
  14. R. Giggs.

    meagain Guest

    Killfile them and stop responding "to" or "about" them; now get everybody
    do killfile them.

    meagain, Aug 31, 2012
  15. R. Giggs.

    meagain Guest

    THe point is that you and I encourage the spammers/idiots by responding to them. If
    no one responded/complained would they keep doing it?

    meagain, Sep 1, 2012