boot.ini

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sal, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Sal

    Sal Guest

    Hi I had a computer crash today... I tried re-installing winxp but finally
    had a thought and fixed the problem another way. But the files from the
    winxp cd had already installed onto my hard drive. I deleted that directory,
    but when I boot my computer I had the options to start winxp, win98, and the
    Windows XP Installation/Upgrade. I removed the Windows XP
    Installation/Upgrade from the boot.ini file but now I get the winxp, win98
    option and another called "windows (default)". I can't seem to get rid of
    this option which is the default option. If I let it run it will give me a
    hal.dll error... If I choose winxp or win98 they start ok. Where is this
    option coming from since I don't see it in the boot.ini file?
    my boot disk is drive c and winxp is installed on another disk which is
    drive d. here is a copy of my boot.ini

    [Boot Loader]
    Timeout=3
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "windows 98:"

    Thanks in advance

    Sal, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Sal

    °Mike° Guest

    Specify XP as your default -- back up your boot.ini first.
    Watch the wrap...

    [boot loader]
    timeout=3
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional"
    /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Windows 98"

    °Mike°, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Sal

    Sultan Guest

    Sal wrote in
    Here is what mine looks like, with only Windows 2000 installed. I think
    you need to add either 98 or XP as the default, this will be the one that
    loads should you fail to select one in time at start up.

    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000
    Professional" /fastdetect

    Sultan, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Sal

    Sal Guest

    Ok I fixed it apparently I read somewhere that whatever is on the right of
    default should be exactly the same as to what is on the left of "Microsoft
    Windows XP"
    So my boot.ini now looks like this and Windows (default) disappeared.

    [Boot Loader]
    Timeout=3
    Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional" /fastdetect
    C:\ = "Previous Operating System on C:"

    Sal, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Sal