    safeboot, but I couldn't find it on my C: partition (OS partition).

    I found it on my D: partition (which was set up as a Dos partition).

    Is this normal?

    rosalind8109, Jan 31, 2007

  2. rosalind8109

    John John Guest

    It's at the root of the System partition, usually C:\. The file is
    hidden, unhide it via the Tools | Folder Options.

    How To Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311578

    John

    John John, Jan 31, 2007

  3. rosalind8109

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24hshd from
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.win2000.general

    If you can't find it are you really going to edit it, seems a bit odd.
    Depends what you mean, in relation on how your system is setup.

    Win NT OS use System and Boot to identify partitions. If you have a
    single default partition, common usage C: it's called System. On System
    both the startup files and \Windows are in the same place.

    boot.ini sits on the System partition, while the OS is on Boot, if you
    have say C: and D: , having selected D: to install \Windows it's called
    Boot.

    Check in Disk Management, you will see which partition is which.

    Also as mentioned in 24HSHD, but not for a while IIRC,
    links to boot.ini articles,

    Even trying this helps, 2 seconds later.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+boot.ini

    1st 2 hits,

    How to edit the Boot.ini file in Windows XP
    How to view and manually configure the Boot.ini file in Windows XP from
    within the Startup and Recovery dialog.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022 - Similar pages

    How To Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows 2000
    This step-by-step article describes how to edit the Boot.ini file in a
    Windows 2000 environment. NTLDR displays the bootstrap loader screen,
    where you can ...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311578 - Similar pages
    [ More results from support.microsoft.com ]

    Read the bit about making a copy of boot.ini and where the original is
    stored.

    Me

    why?, Jan 31, 2007
  4. rosalind8109

    Pennywise Guest

    - To add - it sits at the root of the boot partition.

    Pennywise, Feb 1, 2007
  5. rosalind8109

    rosalind8109 Guest

    Here's what I'm looking to do. I've never loaded Dos on the Dos
    partition, and since the boot.ini file, ntldr, and ntdetect.com files are
    on the D: drive, I probably won't be able to create a ghost image of my
    OS if I only create an image of the C: partition.

    For some reason, I didn't pay close enough attention during setup, and
    the D: partition (formatted as Dos - fat32) is listed as the primary
    partition and the others are logical partitions. I was hoping to load
    MS-Dos so I could have a dual boot. From what I just read on the MS tech
    site, MS-Dos should be loaded before Win 2000 Pro. If it's done after
    the install of Win 2000 Pro, the MBR or the boot sector will be altered.
    I think the article said that you wouldn't be able to boot from Windows
    2000 unless Windows 2000 Pro was loaded after MS-Dos.

    I was hoping that Fixboot, Bootcfg and Fixmbr which are all part of the
    Win 2000 CD recovery console might help. I think the one problem I'll
    have is that the primary partition is the D: fat32 partition and not C.

    Looks like another reinstall.

    rosalind8109, Feb 1, 2007
  6. rosalind8109

    John John Guest

    You can do it without a reinstall but the first thing would be for you
    to tell us which DOS version you plan on installing and for you to find
    out whether or not it has support for FAT32. Only Windows 95B/OSR2 and
    later supports FAT32. This might be easier to do if Windows 2000 is on
    an NTFS partition as DOS won't see it and install to the second
    partition without much fuss. If the first partition is FAT32 then you
    might have to temporarily hide the Windows 2000 partition install
    Windows 9x.

    You have the general gist of it but the Windows 2000 Recovery Console
    doesn't include the bootcfg utility, that is no big deal you can simply
    edit the boot.ini file manually. Create an Emergency Repair Disk for
    your Windows 2000 installation and you will be able to use it to repair
    the boot environment after you install Windows 9x.

    To install Windows 9x boot the computer with a W9x startup floppy (or
    boot to DOS with the cd) and use the sys command on the desired
    partition then restart the pc and install Windows 9x. Once done use the
    Recovery Console or your ERD to fix the boot sector. In order to be
    able to boot Windows 9x the you will need a bootsect.dat file in the
    root of the Windows 9x partition and this line in the [operating
    systems] section of the boot.ini file:

    c:\="Microsoft DOS"

    John

    John John, Feb 1, 2007
  7. rosalind8109

    why? Guest

    x-post trimmed to 24HSHD from
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.win2000.general

    True, you would need to Ghost both partitions.
    Run DOS in a virtual server from WIndows?
    Yes, always older -> newer OS.
    Never looked at that, I always did it the other way :) in OS date
    order.

    You may find 1 of the partition managers may help. I think BootMagic
    (now defunct, was in Partition Magic) let you create several primary
    active partitions, each 1 hidden. The boot menu made the appropriate
    bootable partition visible (to boot from) and hid the others. This way
    you only needed a small initial 200MB partition for the boot menu app.
    I would like to think Acronis, Paragon tools would do the same thing.

    www.google.com boot manager

    I used to use this,
    http://www.ranish.com/part/
    but the last stable version is dated 2002.

    SourceForge.net: Smart BootManager
    Smart BootManager is an os independent BootManager which has easy to use
    interface and many other features. The main goals of SBM are to be
    absolutely OS ...
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/btmgr/ - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

    Could be, will also depend on size of partitions. If C is too big with
    regards to cylinders, DOS most likely wouldn't see the space on D
    anyway.
    Besides backing up several times and making sure you can recover from a
    backup is the way to go.

    What I usually do is,

    C: Primary / Active 800MB or 1.6GB - DOS, Windows (System)
    D: Windows maybe 5GB (Boot)
    E: Windows (another version) 5GB (Boot)
    Program Files(multiple) and Data partitions as needed.

    Me

    why?, Feb 1, 2007
  8. rosalind8109

    Pennywise Guest

    FDISK and remove the active bit from D, and make C your active
    partition.

    Pennywise, Feb 1, 2007
  9. rosalind8109

    rosalind8109 Guest

    wrote in

    Pennywise -

    Thanks for responding.

    First I have to address something of a more important nature than primary
    partitions, creating disk images and reinstalls.

    THE BEST video of "Radio Ga-Ga" is from Live Aid in 1985.
    I remember sitting in awe that day as Freddie Mercury stole the whole
    show (both on the US and British sides). Everything that followed was
    anticlimactic (although Jagger was excellent, too).

    I loved the song when it was first released, but that performance was so,
    so painfully beautiful. His command of close to 100,000 fans at Wembley
    was masterful and his voice was majestic. I think it may be the best
    live TV performance of all time.

    Take a look:

    Now - Boot.ini and stuff:

    Where is the best place to get fdisk - Microsoft.com or bootdisk.com. I
    know they have several versions at bootdisk.

    I've read that Partition Magic converts logical partitions to primary
    partitions and vice versa, and are saying that fdisk does the same?
    If so, what is the attribute to use? "Fdisk/ ?" will probably list all.

    Is there a guarantee that none OS files (especially the registry) will be
    corrupted by doing this?

    Now I just have to figure out how to get ntdetect, ntdlr, and the
    boot.ini file on the C: drive, and ensure that the master boot record
    understands the changes.

    rosalind8109, Feb 2, 2007
  10. rosalind8109

    Pennywise Guest

    Impressive, I've been Queen fan since their first album.

    They sang in Seattle, knowing it was sold out we traveled in hopes of
    getting in - standing outside when they started, sad time; and
    closest I ever got.

    Freddy Mercury was a hell of a singer, the power in his songs was
    incredible, like "I want it all"
    the link doesn't do him
    justice. (but the best I can find)
    You want to download the WinME version boot disk, it has the latest
    FDISK.

    Really just download this ISO
    http://thepiratebay.org/tor/3554482/Hiren_s_BootCD_v8.6_incl._keyboard_patch
    Create a bootable CD, boot up with it and you'll have everything you
    need.

    Use www.Utorrent.com as a client
    Partition magic is an FDISK type program, same thing and more, like
    changing partition sizes without data lose (operating OS's (most of
    the time))

    An option, change C to about 10 megs, and run Dos from it - boot up
    with a floppy and in your autoexec.bat put
    SET COMSPEC=C:\dos\COMMAND.COM (lets you remove the Floppy)

    FDISK /? will show it's usage and you can always backout - it's
    Oh no, and depending upon how far along you are, it might be wise to
    change the active partition, format and start over. Your going to be
    putting a system that thinks it's on D drive on C - really going to
    confuse it.
    All of those files have to be on the boot partition,

    I have no flow to this conversation....

    Another thing you can do is set C active, format, install WK2 the boot
    files (on the WK2 CD under Bootdisk) edit the bootini to point to D.

    Many ways, just which ever is easiest.

    Pennywise, Feb 2, 2007
  11. rosalind8109

    rosalind8109 Guest

    At this point, I'm not planning on installing Dos. I'm thinking of
    either reformatting the Dos partition or just deleting the ntdetect.com,
    ntldr and boot.ini files if I can convert the C drive into my primary
    partition, and adjust the master boot record so that the three files just
    named can exist on the C drive.

    If I install Dos at all, I'm going to look into FreeDos:

    http://www.freedos.org/

    unless I can find an old copy of MS-Dos 6.22 somewhere.

    I'm not looking to install Windows 9x. All I really want to do is:

    1) Convert the logical partition (C) to a primary partition (C).
    I think that Partition Magic can do this, and Pennywise says that Fdisk
    can, too.

    2) Somehow force the C drive to contain all the necessary boot-up files
    and ensure that the Master boot record has been altered correctly.

    If this is too much trouble, I might as well reformat the C and D
    partitions and reinstall the OS (and immediately created a disk image
    once all OS updates are finished and my main programs are loaded).

    rosalind8109, Feb 2, 2007
  12. rosalind8109

    rosalind8109 Guest

    wrote in

    I'm beginning to think the easiest thing is to delete the partitions (after
    backing up important data files and directories), resize them, set C or D
    as the primary and just reload Win 2000 again (although I've read it's good
    if your OS is not on the C: partition for security purposes). Once I
    delete the partitions and reformat the entire master boot record should be
    wiped out. The one good thing about this exercise is that not only did I
    learn more about the boot.ini file and the components of the boot up, but I
    bookmarked some great sites in the process.

    That said, are you sure about these torrents? I've read about Hirens Boot
    CD and while the original may have clean files, how do you know a virus or
    malware wasn't inserted into a particular torrent download?

    PS- Glad you enjoyed the live version of Radio Ga-Ga.

    rosalind8109, Feb 2, 2007
  13. rosalind8109

    John John Guest

    Fdisk cannot non-destructively convert logical partitions into primary
    partitions. Fdisk cannot create more than 1 primary partition on a hard
    disk unless you use third party tools to hide existing primary
    partitions to fool fdisk into thinking that no primary partitions exist
    on the disk. The only way to accomplish what you want is to use third
    party tools or blow away all the partitions and rebuild the disk from
    scratch and use something other that fdisk to create the primary partitions.

    If your intention is to blow away all the partitions then you don't need
    third party tools to do this. Simply boot the computer with your
    Windows 2000 cd and when you get to the screen asking you on which disk
    and partition you want to install Windows delete all the existing
    partitions and create a single new one of the desired size. You can
    just leave the rest of the disk unpartitioned for the time being, you
    will be able to create new primary or logical partitions with the
    built-in Windows 2000 disk management tool after Windows is installed.
    To open and use the Disk Management tool enter the Diskmgmt.msc
    command in the Start Menu \ Run box.

    ***IMPORTANT!*** After you delete and create new partitions at the
    disk/partition selection screen, exit the Windows 2000 setup program and
    start the setup routine again! If you do not, your Windows installation
    may end up with a drive letter assignment other than "C"! Exiting and
    restarting the setup after the deletion and creation of new partitions
    avoids this potential drive letter assignment mix ups. After you
    restart the setup program, at the partition selection screen do a FULL
    NTFS format of the partition. Do not use the FAT32 file system unless
    you absolutely have no choice and do not skip this in favour of a
    FAT32>NTFS conversion at a later time, it is best to immediately format
    using the NTFS file system.

    In another post you mention "I've read it's good if your OS is not on
    the C: partition for security purposes". You can file that in the
    "Urban Myths" category. The most important security step that you can
    take is to use the NTFS file system and properly secure the installation
    with robust permissions and strong user passwords. You should also
    apply all the available security updates and patches and use a properly
    configured firewall.

    John

    John John, Feb 2, 2007
  14. rosalind8109

    Pennywise Guest

    That would be old knowledge, back in the days when having a D drive
    ment you were rich, C: drive was hard wired into the malware. Not that
    way anymore run: %temp% will take you where ever your temp drive is
    and how programs are written anymore.
    Starting over is good, and follow John John's advice, as mine was all
    over the place :}
    Hirens Boot CD is a very handy tool to have available. I selected the
    one I posted carefully :) it wasn't the first on the list, but all the
    good comments about that file.

    But common sense and safe hex always takes priority.
    Glad you were able to share, http://tinyurl.com/2zzl3z First there was
    MTV and it was good, then came Rap and it was Crap. Now Youtube
    brought back those days, only to end up giving us garage bands and
    that can't be grand.

    Pennywise, Feb 2, 2007
  15. rosalind8109

    rosalind8109 Guest

    wrote in

    If you liked that, then check out the full Queen performance from that
    day in 1985. Amazing. If you want a copy, go to keepvid.com and insert
    the url of the Google link.

    Convert using Media Coder or Super if you want to burn to CD or DVD and
    you don't have Nero (though I have my doubts about Super) because of the
    website, hidden dll's, versions of cygwin, etc.
    Many on the net say it's excellent, though. Look at the comments on
    Videohelp.

    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7002417054368545663

    Re: Utorrent

    You like that better than Bitcomet?

    I have always had trouble with getting these programs to dl at a
    reasonable speed - even using port forwarding.

    It's also nervewracking to see all those peers and then looking at
    TCPview or doing a netscan -an command, and seeing all those ports open.

    From what I understand, these programs prevent the peers from seeing
    anything other than your torrent download files? Hopefully that's true,
    because I wouldn't like to see a security breach with all the security
    programs I have installed.

    I've heard that IRQ programs can be just as dangerous as IM'ing programs
    like AIM or Windows Messenger in that regard. How is Google talk?
    If one is to believe the PC mags, just about any Google software is safe
    (although I consider the Google toolbar somewhat like spyware, though I
    did love having it installed at one time).

    rosalind8109, Feb 3, 2007
  16. rosalind8109

    Pennywise Guest

    I thought youtube would work this out, but I've been collecting music
    videos for quite awhile now (just incase).

    http://dvdflick.sourceforge.net/ lets you just take the FLV's (or any
    most any video format) and burn them to a DVD.

    Pennywise, Feb 3, 2007