BOOT GENERIC virus -- cannot clean; cannot delete. Please help!

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by wgreene, Aug 12, 2004.

  1. wgreene

    wgreene Guest

    ----

    I ran Trend Housecall AV and it detected a BOOT GENERIC virus, a file in
    Drive D, which I have been unable to either clean or delete. Scan Result:
    Can Not Access. I click both Clean and Delete and get the following message:
    Unable to clean because it is currently in use. Is there an easy way to get
    rid of this virus?

    I have McAfee AV installed but it failed to detect the virus. So someone
    suggested I try Trend Housecall. I figured something was wrong for two
    reasons: (1) I was no longer getting McAfee's automatic security updates;
    and (2) whenever I boot up it now takes several minutes for most of my icons
    to change to their proper colors/appearance. They're basically white for a
    few minutes until they FINALLY change -- a very annoying wait.

    Since I was no longer getting the automatic updates I tried getting them
    manually, only to get a reply message from McAfee Security Center indicating
    an inability to connect to the Internet. I would then click on Retry and get
    the same response, again and again. Another thing I've noticed lately is
    that my Security Index and Antivirus Index are now registering 7.0, and I'm
    pretty sure they had been at 8.5 for as long as I can remember. Could it be
    that missing my automatic updates has caused these readings to drop? I went
    to McAfee chat support and received a fix that allowed McAfee to reconnect
    to the Net. I then clicked on Updates and received a reply telling me that
    all of my McAfee services were up-to-date. However, I'm not sure I believe
    that since I figure I must have missed several of them during the past week
    or so.

    I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might have a solution to
    my problem.

    wgreene, Aug 12, 2004

  2. wgreene

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Aug 12, 2004

  3. wgreene

    Unk Guest

    This is a link to a small FREE program by McAfee Anti-virus named Stinger.
    It will scan your system for 47 known viruses and trojans (including the new
    W32/Sasser.worm.e) and repair them. You don't need McAfee anti-virus
    installed on your computer... this is a stand alone program.
    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    Direct download: http://download.nai.com/products/mcafee-avert/stinger.exe

    Microsoft Download Center: Has several virus removal tools.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    Free online virus scanners

    http://housecall.antivirus.com/
    http://security.norton.com/default.asp?langid=us&venid=sym
    http://security2.norton.com/us/home.asp
    http://www.freedom.net/viruscenter/onlineviruscheck.html
    http://www.dials.ru/english/www_av/
    http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

    Another possibility is to borrow a second computer with anti-virus software
    on it, and put that HDD in it as a slave, and run the anti-virus software to
    clean it up.

    Unk, Aug 12, 2004
  4. My advice? Dump McAfee. It is garbage. I use this one:

    http://www.my-etrust.com

    If you are using XP, you can use it free for one year. Get it
    here:

    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft

    Also "munge" your email address, when posting to Usenet, as I have done
    below, to stop spam bots from harvesting your address and bombarding
    you with spam.

    Also you can download a program called Stinger. It is the only
    McAfee product I will use. It is a stand-alone program, not having
    to install and incorporate itself to Windows. You just run<double click
    the executable> it from its download folder.

    @}-}-------Rosee, Aug 12, 2004
  5. wgreene

    nota chance Guest

    what file format is the hd in if it is fat32. reboot f8 go into dos
    prompt then type format d: /mbr the mbr is a switch that should
    re-format the d partion and destroy a possble boot sector record as well.

    should work don't know why micro never puts his switch in any dos text
    as far back as 4 and 3 even.

    nota chance, Aug 13, 2004