    Has anyone ever gone to a computer boot camp? I'm thinking about going to one this December to get my Network+ and my MCP in MS 2000 Server.

    I have no previous experience with 2000 Server or networking. they say this is ok. The course lasts 6 days and I'm supposed to come out with both certifications.

    do you think i will be able to retain the information until i can find a job?

    Guest, Oct 29, 2003

  2. Guest

    chris Guest

    I think you should save your $$$. 6 days will not be
    enough for anything. Of course they are saying its OK,
    they want to sell you a seat in their classroom. I think
    you would be far better off to get the appropriate books,
    soft, hardware, documentation, links, and forums and teach
    yourself all this stuff at your own pace.
    Times are very tight right now. Lots of guys with lots of
    experience out of work in IT. It can be done. But if the
    school is telling you that once you get the certs you will
    have recruiters lined up outside your door dying to place
    you, they are lying.

    chris, Oct 29, 2003

  3. Guest

    Jtyc Guest

    do you think i will be able to retain the information until i can find a
    job?

    No.

    You need practical experience otherwise you will be nothing but a hinderance
    to the company that hires you.

    Jtyc, Oct 29, 2003
  4. Guest

    Ken Briscoe Guest

    Has anyone ever gone to a computer boot camp? I'm thinking about going to
    one this December to get my Network+ and my MCP in MS 2000 Server.
    this is ok. The course lasts 6 days and I'm supposed to come out with both
    certifications.
    Think of it this way:
    Back in high school or college, would you take a test if you hadn't shown up
    to class all semester? Would you cram the night before, not really knowing
    what you're doing, hoping to not only pass the test, but do reasonably well?
    I don't think so. Boot camps are a bad idea. Go to a full length course -
    one that lasts weeks and weeks, not 6 days. You can't possibly learn all
    there is to know about Windows 2000 in 6 days. Do these Nazis even give you
    a lunch break? Go to your local college and find out what kind of courses
    they offer. I'm sure they don't offer 6 day courses promising you
    certifications. Besides, what kind of company promises something that is out
    of their control? The boot camp doesn't issue certifications. They merely
    give you the information as fast as you can take it, and hope that Microsoft
    will find that good enough to give you the cert. Go to a real course. Study
    on your own free time. Take an internship. Build a home network. Anything
    but a boot camp. And braindumps. Anything but boot camps and braindumps.
    job?

    What? Rephrase that or you're going to get flamed hardcore.

    Ken Briscoe, Oct 29, 2003
  5. Guest

    Beoweolf Guest

    Most regular lecture and hands-on courses take from 6 to 14 months to cover
    the material required to gain MCSA or MCSE certifications...even then many
    don't pass all the certification on the first try (sometimes "never").

    A boot camp is geared to assist a working sys admin or manager to "brush up"
    on the technical details, filling out his practical knowledge with wider
    view of the less used, more advanced features of the products.

    If you have no experience with the OS, at all, then you are wasting your
    time and your money. The only way you would be able to pass the
    certifications exams would be if you have a near perfect memory...that is
    assuming the instructor covers everything and/or assigns the course
    materials for you to read. My guess is, if you are that dedicated and your
    memory is that good, why do you need to attend an expensive boot camp? Buy
    the books and study on your own, else attend a local CC or extension course
    given by a local College/University (and I don't mean Devry, Phoenix..unless
    you just "have" to spend some unnecessary amount of money)..

    Beoweolf, Oct 31, 2003