    luck :((

    Any quick and easy way to get them back short of reinstalling
    SeaMonkey or changing to Firefox, please?

    Charani, Apr 20, 2009

  2. close SM, then search your hard drive for a file called
    bookmarks.bak. Once found rename it to bookmarks.html
    and place it in the SM profile directory. Did that work?

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009

  3. Charani

    Charani Guest

    The closest I can find is bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak and it's in
    Mozilla\Profiles\default\2izpohut.slt

    There's also an HTML doc in the same folder but the bookmarks aren't
    exactly the same. There are two other HTML docs in the profile both
    of which are the basic ones from when SeaMonkey is first downloaded
    and installed on a machine.

    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
  4. Charani

    Charani Guest

    I tried to rename it and couldn't because a file of that name already
    exists! So, no, it didn't work :((

    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
  5. you need to close SM first. Rename bookmarks.html to
    bookmarks-old.html and then try renaming the .bak

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009
  6. Charani

    Charani Guest

    It was closed.
    Tried that but it still hasn't brought the missing bookmarks back :((

    Charani, Apr 20, 2009
  7. how about bookmarks.temp? Or bookmarks anything? Do
    you see any unusual bookmark files?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 20, 2009
  8. I hate to be a nudge, but backup your profile every night. The best
    answer to your question is to restore from backup. A regular backup
    program can save a lot of angst.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 21, 2009
  9. On my Mac's and my wife's, I have Time Machine doing its thing using two
    500 GB drives, and one 1 TB drive. If the main drive dies on any
    machine, I can boot from the backup, and restore everything.

    However, I have most of my most vital files stored on a 32 GB flash
    drive. Its like bringing my computer with me in my pocket. That
    includes all my email.

    The only thing is, Time Machine does not backup USB drives.

    I have the data on the flash drive backed up to three different
    locations on my home network, and the truly vital files to an internet
    backup.

    A couple of months ago, the flash drive failed. I bought a new drive,
    and restored from backup. There were a few files that were corrupted,
    but among 3 backups, I was able to restore everything easily.

    You have never been more correct, paranoid, no, backed up yes!

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 22, 2009
  10. thats more than what I've done. All I've got is my SM
    password files, and my bookmarks, and thats it. I
    don't need anything else.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 22, 2009
  11. Charani

    Charani Guest

    No, there are no unusual bookmark files, apart from the one with the
    triple extension which I renamed.

    All the bookmarks are HTML docs.

    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
  12. Charani

    Charani Guest

    I did have a backup because the original machine I was using had a
    reformat and I copied evrything to an external hard drive which was
    then copied onto this machine (which isn't the original). All the
    necessary files and folders were there and working until the other
    night.

    Once the reformat was done, everything was copied back onto the
    original machine from the external hard drive. It's all still on the
    latter but they won't reimport to this machine. I'm going to try with
    the original machine later but using Thunderbird and Firefox.

    If that doesn't work, I'm going to have to systematically click on
    every link in one of the HTML docs in order to recover them.

    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
  13. Charani

    Charani Guest

    See my reply to Lee.

    Charani, Apr 22, 2009
  14. You don't back up your mail?

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Apr 23, 2009
  15. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 23, 2009
  16. I use it for lots of things, but if it goes, then it
    goes. No big deal. My life isn't tied to a computer.
    Just like my life isn't tied to a cell phone. Never
    had one, and don't want one.

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Apr 23, 2009