Bookmarks and favourites, and mystery message.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by geopelia, Mar 18, 2014.

  1. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Does Favourites call itself Bookmarks in Windows 7?

    I can click the Favourites star and get favourites, but when I want to add
    an item it calls itself Bookmarks
    and there is no list that I can find, and no way to show the file I want it
    to go to.

    I need to add shopping orders for Countdown etc.

    Any ideas please? Is there a website where I can look up this sort of thing?

    Down by the clock there is a flag, and a message from Windows Defender
    wanting to scan my computer.
    "Solve PC issues one message". Is this a genuine message and should I let it
    please?

    Thank you
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Mar 18, 2014

  2. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" wrote in message
    That depends on the browser software you use. This has nothing to do with
    Windows 7 per se but is instead dependent on the browser. You are most
    likely using either Internet Explorer, Firefox or Chrome.
    When you are looking at webpages, what's the name of the program you are
    running?

    Google. I think it's still on Internet Explorer, but Chrome seems to have
    installed itself when I updated Adobe.
    I never click on the Chrome icon.
    That depends on what the issue is. If you click on it does it give you more
    information?
    One message." Windows Defender needs to scan your computer. Open Action
    Centre."
    Would I understand Action Centre if I opened it? I don't know much so it
    would have to be clear step by step for me.
    I can get the computer man to look at the computer remotely if necessary.

    geopelia, Mar 18, 2014

  3. geopelia

    Your Name Guest

    Yep, they're both the same thing - stored shortcuts to access the
    websites you like.

    There's probably one of two reasons (if not both) why Microsoft uses
    "Favourites" while pretty much everyone else uses "Bookmarks":

    A. Microsoft used the "Favourites" term first and used legal
    action to stop anyone else using it.

    B. Microsoft decided to ignore everyone else and do whatver they
    want to do, as usual.

    The best solution is to buy an Apple Mac, and then you won't have to
    deal with Microsoft's various idiocies ever again (unless you're in
    business and need almost 100% Microsoft Office compatiblitiy).

    Your Name, Mar 18, 2014
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "Allistar" wrote in message
    Ok, you're using Internet Explorer (Google is probably the web page it goes
    to when to start Internet Explorer - you can make it go to any page you like
    by default).

    I've never used Internet Explorer (I can't run it on my computer( but I
    would say that "Favourites" and "Bookmarks" are synonymous.
    It's complaining that it hasn't checked for viruses in a while. You should
    be safe to leave it until the computer man comes. If you do run it it should
    do everything it needs to automatically without you needing to be involved
    (apart from starting it off).

    Thank you. I have Trend Micro which should be stopping any viruses. I'll let
    Action Centre do that as well.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Mar 18, 2014
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    No, you just have to cope with Apple's BS hype and own idiosyncrasies.

    But on the upside you will end up with a new religion.

    geoff

    I'll stay with Microsoft. I bought a new computer last year as the old one
    was so old, and everything was transferred to the new one.
    A lot of things weren't where I expected them to be.
    Also I'm now learning Windows 7.
    Any more changes would really stuff up this ancient brain!

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Mar 18, 2014

  6. PLEASE Stop feeding this Troll

    Frank Williams, Mar 18, 2014
  7. geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    Hello there Roger. Feeling a bit lonely and wanting some attention?

    Gordon, Mar 19, 2014
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    Oye - he said (somewhat anachronistically !) to please stop feeding the
    troll !

    geoff

    Is he calling me a troll? I may be ignorant and annoying, but I'm only
    asking for help with stuff I don't understand.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Mar 19, 2014
  9. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    "geoff" wrote in message

    No, he was just doing his random bleat :) Not clear who or what he was
    on about. But the best interpretation was he was referring to himself
    and his very same post !

    Geo, you carry on as is !

    geoff

    Thank you.