    Please recommend a book that takes someon who doesn't know much about Linux
    and walks them step-by-step through installing and hardening LAMP.

    Many thanks.

    NotGiven, Dec 10, 2005

  2. NotGiven

    Ray Tayek Guest

    this book if free online: http://www.chongluo.com/books/rute/. it's a good
    place to start.
    i am not a security expert. but you will mostly restrict services (the stuff
    listed in /etc/services). fool around with /etc/hosts.allow (and deny(,.
    iptables. using ssh instead of telenet. encrypted port forwarding. get the
    latest apps and paches. build your own kernal if you are really
    paranoid.etc.

    try to find a local linux user group and attend:
    http://www.linux.org/groups/.

    thanks

    Ray Tayek, Dec 10, 2005