    upgraded at work to a firebox with a different DNS i've had issues at home.
    Sometimes it gives me a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx address, i forget what the rest of
    the numbers are, which has nothing to do with either of them!?

    Guest, Jul 6, 2006

  2. Guest

    Malke Guest

    Try the Alternate Configuration. The wireless manager will look for the
    first configuration (the office for ex.) and when it doesn't find it
    and times out, switch over to the Alternate Configuration (home for
    ex.). If you find the little wait for it to time out annoying, use a
    third-party network manager.

    Automatic Configuration for Multiple Networks -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/learnmore/tips/autoconfig.mspx

    Managing One Windows XP-based Laptop for the Office and Home by MVP
    Charlie Russel - http://tinyurl.com/cpy9q

    http://www.netswitcher.com - NetSwitcher
    http://www.globesoft.com/mnm_home.html - MultiNetwork Manager
    http://www.mobilenetswitch.com - Mobile Net Switch

    Malke

    Malke, Jul 6, 2006

  3. You can try what Malke said first and if that isn't for you, look at the web
    site below which makes it easy to switch networks for you:

    http://www.netswitcher.com/product_info.htm

    One last thing - you didn't say if your laptop has built in wi-fi or not. I
    don't have it built in on my laptop and use a USB wi-fi NIC to get wireless.
    When I am at home, I have the USB wi-fi NIC plugged in to one USB port and
    have manually assigned IP address and DNS addresses there. However, when I
    am working and needing to connect (which can be anywhere at all), I plug the
    USB wi-fi NIC into another USB port on the laptop. When this happens, I get
    an untouched network which will accept DHCP assigned IP etc. So, if you use
    USB wi-fi, this may be the simple answer for you.

    Diamontina Cocktail, Jul 6, 2006