  1. Is there any loss when converting from BMP to TIFF or the reverse?

    Thanks,
    Jenna

    Jenna Topping, Jan 21, 2005

  2. Jenna Topping

    Steven Hook Guest

    Shouldn't be, I don't think, unless you resize the pic ?
    Steven

    Steven Hook, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Jenna Topping

    dylan Guest

    I believe that TIFF can be 16-bit whereas BMP are only 8-bit, otherwise
    there should be no other loss.

    dylan, Jan 21, 2005
  4. Jenna Topping

    bob Guest

    Also, Tiff can have a color profile.

    bob, Jan 21, 2005
  5. Jenna Topping

    Ron Hunter Guest

    no. However, both take up rather more disk space than is necessary.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 21, 2005
  6. Jenna Topping

    None40 Guest

    Probably(depends what you mean by loss), especially going from TIFF to BMP.
    Has to do with how BMP's handle color. Go to
    http://www.uwm.edu/People/price/graphic_file_format_comparison.htm for a
    indepth explanation. The problem is although TIFF is technical better it
    has the problem of to many "standards" I've also had trouble with windows
    explorer handling some TIFF files-impossible to delete! I try to use PNG as
    much as possible. Most(all?) modern graphics programs seem to support it.

    None40, Jan 23, 2005