Bluetooth dongle and XP (SP 2) problem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Guest, Oct 20, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Hi,

    i am having problems with setting up my desktop to be bluetooth capable. i
    have an MSI PC2PC transceiver USB dongle

    (requires widcomm driver) and my computer runs XP with SP2. This is how i
    have proceeded so far:

    1. Inserted the dongle in a USB port and XP recognizes it as a new hardware.
    Latter pops up an installation wizard.
    2. i point the wizard to the cd drive which contains the CD-ROM with the
    drivers and the installation proceeds

    successfully.

    To confirm this installation, the bluetooth device is recognized (MSI USB
    Bluetooth Device) in the device manager

    window under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers node. Note that unlike
    several articles on the microsoft support

    website, i do not have the Bluetooth Radio node in the device manager
    window. Is this a problem ?

    Moreover, there are no bluetooth icons in the notification area of the
    taskbar. Also, i cannot see any bluetooth

    services running (services.msc). Furthermore, the control panel does not
    have any bluetooth applet. In other terms,

    running bthprops.cpl has no consequence. Finally, when i use my phone to
    discover my computer as a bluetooth capable

    device, it finds nothing. (The phone has detected and can detect other
    bluetooth capable devices)

    Clearly, the driver installation with the wizard step above is incorrect or
    incomplete.

    The device works on a friend's computer and i have reinstalled xp with sp2
    already twice to confirm this problem.

    Would you have any ideas ?

    Thanks in advance.

    vik

    Guest, Oct 20, 2006

  2. Guest

    Homer Jay Guest

    This is what you need to take a look at http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/

    I had the same problem a while back with an MSI Bluetooth dongle, following
    the info at that website fixed it for me.

    Good Luck.

    Homer Jay, Oct 20, 2006