    (The limited edition version includes a 3-D frontspiece where the Nimitz
    appears and disappears in the time-storm).

    scott

    Scott Lurndal, Apr 1, 2004

  2. Scott Lurndal

    jayembee Guest

    I've never seen the PFE edition, but I agree, that the video
    quality on this one is up there. It's a little too grainy
    for my tastes, but that's a quibble.
    Definitely agree.
    Well, yes and no. I want to like this film a lot more than I
    do. My big problem with the story is that it never follows up
    on its premise. It dangles the idea of a 1980 nuclear carrier
    going up against the 1941 Japanese fleet in front of its
    audience, and then chickens out at the last minute.

    It would've been a bolder story if they'd actually had the
    Nimitz engaging the Japanese fleet and changing history.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Apr 3, 2004

  3. Scott Lurndal

    fredman Guest

    Ha! Ha! Ha! I exactly agree with you there, jamembee. This has
    always been my problem with this movie too, and to see the enthusiasm
    for it still makes me wonder what film everyone else is watching. If
    only they were able to somehow kick ass on the fleet without it
    affecting history! - but that's the problem with historical sf - the
    outcome almost has to be predictable to follow history properly. I've
    also gotten the disc - much more as a curiosity than old fave - but I
    agree that BU did a great job. Read a rumour somewhere that they may
    be taking over the "Night of the Comet" title whose release got
    botched. Hope it's true... Cheers.
    regards,

    =====================

    =====================

    fredman, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Well, there may be some visceral satisfaction in seeing the
    Nimitz single-handedly change the course of history, but the
    real key to the film is the story of Mr. and Mrs. Tideman. That
    is what raises this film to higher level, in my opinion.

    One or two tactical nukes dropped from an A-6 would have been
    sufficient to take out the Japanese fleet; it wouldn't have
    been much of a fight.
    I'll have to disagree. It would have been neat, but it would not have
    been as good a story, IMO.

    scott

    Scott Lurndal, Apr 5, 2004